Turkey Call

feelinducky

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion on what type of slate, glass, or aluminum call to buy for a beginner?  There are so many out there I'm not sure where to start.  I assume that they are like duck calls as they are only as good as the user, but any suggestions on a good sound quality call would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks  

Possum

Reaction score
Slate and Aluminum are probably easier to cover up mistakes on. Glass will magnify mistakes more.  That's my experience.  Try a well known maker in your area where you can go try his calls.  I like Russell Lynch (Bud n Betty) and Tony Reynolds (Waterloo, SC).  Both have excellent calls.  Production calls are also good depending on what you get.  I have heard the Ole Yeller (knight  & hale)is good and the Aluminator by MAD.

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
I have both the Ole Yeller and Aluminator as well as custom calls. Get both of the production ones if possible. If you're only getting one get the Ole Yeller. The aluminator is high pitched and loud a great locator call but the OY has a better range distance to close in.If you don't have a turkey call I would start with a box. A Lynch foolproof is a great begginner call. I still carry one as it will get a response sometimes when my customs won't.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I am partial to my Cody slate call, but last year I kept reading about the Ole Yeller...So I bought one, I must say that it is probably the best sounding production call I have ever personally used.  Mine came with two strikers also! Excellent sounding call!!

trkyhntr

Reaction score
I have to agree with you guys, that the ole yeller by Knight & Hale is a great production call.I also like the Lynch jet slate.

Gray Ghost

Reaction score
  I would recommend that you get an Ol Yeller by K&H. Great call for beginners. Easy to use and you can get some great sounds out of it. Took two gobblers with it last year. I carry 8-10 strikers...but would suggest that you have 3-4 striker to use. One each as follows : Purple Heart, Hickory, Walnut, and an All Weather striker.
 Also, get a good instructional tape on all the basic turkey calls to Practice, Practice, and Practice by!!! Good Luck To Ya'l!!!

Welby

Reaction score
If I were a beginner and didn't know much starting out, I would get the Lonesome Hen by Knight & Hale.  A turkey call doesn't get any easier or more foolproof than that.

I learned something about them that makes them sound amazing.  When purchased, not all of them sound that good.  What makes the difference however is when you open them up and condition (or scuff) the copper sounding board.

My boss, a longtime turkeyhunter for many, many years, put it best when he said this of the Lonesome Hen:  "I hate it.  It sounds so good, I hate it.  Oh, it'll kill the pee out of the turkeys, and I'm gonna use it, but I hate it.  It just shouldn't be that easy.  It took years for me to learn to call, and now anyone with a finger can buy one of these right off the shelf and call a turkey up.  This is just too easy.  Now all kind of wannabes are gonna be in the woods killing turkeys."

I also recommend the various slate type calls as well.  Learn to make and use a tube call as well.

haftahunt

Reaction score
I like my Cody glass call, but would also have to recomend the M.A.D aluminator also. Both are easy to use, and sound great

feelinducky

Reaction score
WOW, thanks for all of the info.  I now have a place to start.  There is a good store in Citrus Heights (near Sacramento) that has a bunch of calls.  I'll try to head over there tomorrow and see if they have any of the ones that you suggested.
Again thanks for all of the information!:toast-yellow:

(Edited by feelinducky at 11:28 pm on Mar. 2, 2002)

Top Bottom