Turkey Decoy ?s

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
I have 4 decoys, 1 strut, 2 hens, 1 standing jake. What is the strut gonna do for me?, Is this something I should leave at home?. Is more decoys better?, If I only take two which ones should I take?. Thanks IN advance; Bryan

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I won't bad mouth any decoy's because I am sure on any given day a lustfull gobbler will come in on a string to any one of them.

A gobbler hear's a hen calling and when he comes in he expects to see one. So if I were going to carry two I'd make'em both hens. Or I would just carry one. Which is what I do 90% of the time.
1 hen decoy. A feather flex hen decoy. Folds up in the vest, easy to carry, fast to setup.

My .02 worth.

Possum

Reaction score
The struttin' jake is to inspire jealousy in the Tom.  However, in MY experience (and I am no expert) I have found that it works better for me in the afternoon than morning.  That is, when I used decoys.  I found that on my birds getting to a bend in the field, or the woods, or somewhere the Tom has to look for the hen works better for me.  The birds I hunt can tell who made the decoys better than I can.  I quit using them last year and have had terrific results. If I had to use them I would use two feeding hens about 20 yds apart and a standing jake off to the side in front of my position.  I have seen jakes run gobblers out of a field before.  Maybe just the two hens if the gobbler hangs up and won't come in.  Good Luck.  Experimentation will tell you what works the best. Remember not to stop calling when the bird appears.  A lot of people do that and the gobbler starts wondering either what is wrong or why he is not being welcomed.  I have found that turkeys have an etiqutte they follow.  Sounds like the name for a new book.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom