Turkey Decoys

duckdog

Reaction score
I haven't done a lot of turkey hunting. So the first decoys my husband bought were a cheap set of two hens and a tom years ago. They would fold up and were easy to carry in his pack.

This year I want my own decoys. I like how his folds up, but to me they just don't look real and the tom doesn't even have his feathers all up with a fan tail.

Cabelas has some nice decoys, I just don't know what to buy. What is best? I was looking at the Carry-Lite Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl Turkey Decoy Set (Click here to see Decoy)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I got drawn for the Cosumnes River Preserve
(Sacramento County) and from what I have read. This is the first time they allowed hunting there for turkeys. I am so excited about getting to hunt this. Has anyone seen turkeys there? I am hunting the Arno field.

Thanks

Lumpy

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of decoys!!
I have used them in the past and had mixed results, some postive and some negative!!!
Sorry, no info. on where you are hunting, but good luck and let us know how you do.
God Bless

JNDEER

Reaction score
that is awesome you got drawn there!! lots of birds are usually in that general area....do you know which quadrant they put you in?

the birds in that area are perty hened up bad....so possible a decoy that is a jake in strut and a couple of hens would work well to bring in a tom (has worked ok for me in that past in that general area)

the carry-lites are good....the love triangles work well too........but IMO any decoy will work from the wally world special to the most expensive...i will say don't get rubber and don't get blow up ones........any other foam decoy will work just fine...

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I use decoys only when I am in a situation that the turkeys should see the bird that has been calling. If I can set up in a place that they have to get in range to find the "hen" I don't even bother with them.
Be careful with using lifelike decoys, I have had several BAD encounters with idiots stalking decoys. The Tom in the Cabelas add looks too real for safety IMO. I have altered my decoys to look more fake (orange head, orange stake), and never had a bird balk at them.

duckdog

Reaction score
Lumpy
I have heard sometimes decoys don't work...Not being allowed to scout this area make this difficult to see what the toms are doing this time of year out there.

JNDEER
I went ahead and ordered the Carry-lites. I hadn't heard of the love triangles. The area I am going to is off of 99 on Arno road. From Sac it's on the right side of 99. They won't be telling us which assigned area I will get until that morning of the hunt.

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (duckdog @ Mar 20 2008, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
JNDEER
I went ahead and ordered the Carry-lites. I hadn't heard of the love triangles. The area I am going to is off of 99 on Arno road. From Sac it's on the right side of 99. They won't be telling us which assigned area I will get until that morning of the hunt.[/b]
oh ok...yes i know that area very well. (not that i have hunted it, but i live near by).......hope you get a good area....remember most of these birds have NEVER been hunted, so calls should work out well...the love triangle is just a set of 3 decoys you can get.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/s...e&noImage=0

best bang for your buck, but the carry-lites should work very well too.......when you go opening morning and they assign you to your area....my suggestion to you would be to get to your area and get on the South end of the "square" or designated area they have you in....use an Owl call (works well on those birds) and see where they are gobbeling....set up accordingly...if they are roosting on someon elses "square" set up close and just try to call them your direction...

good luck!

Lumpy

Reaction score
If a bird is working his way towards you and see's the decoy, sometimes it my cause him to hang up outside of range, or if you have a gobbler decoy out and the bird you are working is not a dominant bird and he see's it, it might turn him away.
That is a couple of reason I don't use them anymore, just get him to commit and then let him come looking for ya!!!
From what I have seen so far the birds are a little behind schedule, just started seeing birds in smaller groups.
God Bless

socalgobblerhunter

Reaction score
If you really want to get one I would get a lone hen. I bought a DSD decoy and it looks amazing. Well worth the money.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
Bobbin' Head, love this decoy as she has movement....It's worked great for me the last two years now!

JNDEER

Reaction score
you could go either way...i hunt some of those birds in that area.....in my experience because of the number of hens in the area, when i used one hen docoy the toms didn't care...i put up a young jake deocy and two hens...he came right on in....

i put up to hens and the hens that were with the gobbler came in.....so it can go either way....but i would put out more then just one hen...atleast to...just my 2cents

duckdog

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I can't wait to go hunting. I have my new decoys coming, and I am going to take my husbands decoys also. The decoys he has is the Love Triangle. I'm not sure how I want to do my set up yet.

I'm thinking it might be easy to get them to come in because there has never been anyone allowed to hunt this area.

JNDEER- you recommended to set up in the south side of the square. Why the south? Is that the way the turkeys like to travel? I'm clueless. I know nothing bout turkey hunting.

JNDEER

Reaction score
so not really knowing were your unit will be....MOST of the units i saw from DFG in some magazine appeared to be cut up so in a way so that it would be best for you to stop at the southern end of your unit then try a locator call (owl call works great, IMO)....then decide where you want to go from there....

sorry..i just re-read your post......you are going to be hunting off of ARNO rd???????

AimHigh

Reaction score
What day is your hunt? My wife is up April 2 for Arno so we may be able to help you.

BrandonA

Reaction score
I am a fairly laid back person when it comes to decoys.... I always have a soft collapsable type with me whether or not I put it out is dictated by the situation. I think I've only ever set out hard decoys a couple times in my life and that was to try to pull a couple flocked up tom's away from his hens and I used a few hen decoy's to pull that off (basically create the image that they were his hens and thats where they flew down from their roost at)

Advertisement

Top Bottom