Turkey Hunting Ammo and Choke

hntndux

Reaction score
Last night I was looking through the 97th catalog from Cabela's I've received this year and it happened to be the Turkey catalog. While thumbing through it I couldn't believe the cost of the "Turkey" loads and choke tubes. I've only been hunting turkeys actively for the past 4 years with my 2 boys and collectively we've taken 8. On turkey hunting ability and know how I'd rate my self as a 5 since I'm not a good caller and don't know many of the various calls to make. My oldest and I have been using old (1970's) 2 3/4" Remington 1 1/2oz #4 loads with a standard full choke, while my youngest has used a 20ga, full choke with 1 1/4oz 3" #6 loads that have been deadly effective.

My question is: What do these $80 superfull choke tubes and ammo that costs as much as $30 for 5 shells give you to warrant the increased cost? I don't know have any hunting friends that are truly serious turkey hunters so I just thought I'd put the question out there.

inchr48

Reaction score
Basically, the special chokes and ammunition increase your effective yardage. The caveat is, that the combo works in your weapon of choice. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sounds like your system works for you. I enjoy shooting, so I always experiment with my different shotguns and chokes/ammo combinations. I generally shoot at 30 and 40 yards, but also may try as close as 10. Do you know how easy it is to miss a real close shot (with a tight choke)? Patterning what ever you choose to use just gives confidence in the shot. Sounds like you and the boys have it nailed, so save your money for gas and lunch (and maybe a decoy or call or two). Happy hunting, post those pics of the birds!

palladin

Reaction score
I use the same load as you hntndux (#4, 1/12) except not Remington as I don't like their ammo. I use a Hunter Specialty Undertaker choke tube only because I don't want to mess up my regular chokes.

Beretta MobilChokes are kinda hard to find out here.

Of course, there are those that have to have the newfangled shotguns, chokes, and accessories...which is fine.

Last edited:

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I have always felt these are the same "must have" items of the guys who want to shoot 100 yards at snow geese and think by buying a special choke and shells they can accomplish it. I'm always reading and hearing the bragging stories of killing a gobbler at 50, 60 and 70 yards. Personally I am NOT IMPRESSED! I'd rather hear about the guy nailing the bird at 5 feet. At 20 yards or less it takes a good aim to hit the bird. At 50 yards you are spraying shot from top to bottom on him, and even if he runs away you've done serious damage. My self imposed limits are 25 yards with a bow and 35 with a shotgun. At 35 yards my 1 1/2 ounce load of 5's is going to do the job and hopefully very little shot hits the body. Sorry for the rant!!

Lumpy

Reaction score
Yep, it increases your effective range and hopefully ensures a clean kill!!!

Fugaloo

Reaction score
One of the reasons I hunt with an airgun. My shotguns don't accept tubes, but I've never had a problem hitting turkeys with them. I have a Remington model 29 (as is 1929) that only shoots 2 &3/4. It has a full choke, and I have taken turkeys out to 35 yards. I agree with shovelerslayer in that closing the distance is what turkey hunting is all about.

Top Bottom