Turkey Hunting Los Padres

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
Apparently, there use to be a Turkey populations in areas of Los Padres and Angeles Forest. I was told that they had suffered from some past wildfires, namely the Day Fire. Ive heard that some may still be around, but I'm wondering why THE DFG hasn't made any attempts to transplant more into these areas? It would be great if they did since any other turkey hunting is several hours away.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Habitat restoration, they won't survive in an inappropriate habitat.

dthome

Reaction score
The Los Padres holds turkeys, but not many. A weak stock was used to transplant them years ago (a domestic Merriam's, I think), and they weren't well adapted. CDFW had planned to transplant additional birds, but not sure what happened. There's a fair amount of opposition to turkeys in California by native plant societies, because turkeys are not thought to be native in California (though fossils have been found), and turkeys can tear up the landscape. I'll PM you a location to try.

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
Habitat restoration, they won't survive in an inappropriate habitat.
They use to be in Grade Valley, until the day fire.

Its funny, San Diego Co has plenty of Turkeys. When I was stationed down that way I don't remember it being particularly better than the Pine Mt District is today

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
The Los Padres holds turkeys, but not many. A weak stock was used to transplant them years ago (a domestic Merriam's, I think), and they weren't well adapted. CDFW had planned to transplant additional birds, but not sure what happened. There's a fair amount of opposition to turkeys in California by native plant societies, because turkeys are not thought to be native in California (though fossils have been found), and turkeys can tear up the landscape. I'll PM you a location to try.
Thanks. I tried sending you a reply PM, but the system doesn't seem to be working

Top Bottom