Turkey in San Diego

One Track

Reaction score
I've spent many a year deer hunting in San Diego County.  However, turkey hunting is totally new to me. I'm hoping to give it a shot this year. I'm wondering if it's the same here in San Diego, as elsewhere, like you see on TV.  Do you set up against a tree and call?  Decoys?

I've seen turkey in Cuyamaca and Julian. Wondering if these are the general areas, or are there others.  I'm not asking for your hot spots. However, if you could point me in the general direction, I would be greatful. I like to work hard for my game, and will do a fair amount of scouting.  Your insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GOBBLEMASTER

Reaction score
seems like every canyon with water and oaks has birds during the spring down there.  public land is awfully crowed during gobbler season.  but just about all the cleveland with turkey habitat has birds or at least has birds that move through the area.  hike far far far away from the parking lots off of boulder creek and you should get a good chance at finding an unweary tom.  

Fubar

Reaction score
One Track  Check Jesses hunting page. You can get info there. He has phone numbers for DFG biologists you can talk to about turkey locations.
There are turkeys in many areas in the National Forest. Palomar has birds. There are birds all around Cuyamaca in the National Forest.
Get out the hiking boots and look for some sign.
If you find some let me know.  hehe                    Fubar

One Track

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Can't wait to get started.  Need to practice my gobbling, and clucking, and chirping and hooting.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom