Turkey Leg Candle holder

Bigolwiggler

Well, I have been up at the cabin for several weeks ( I have satellite internet now ! ) Im recovering from some neck surgery . Had some vertebrae fused together. They say I will be months in recovery. Anyhow, Im trying to come up with small projects that wont further injure my neck. Here is one of them . ( Im working on a knife too with a deer horn handle, the horn still has the eye-guard ...no pics yet ) Anyhow I took some Tom Turkey legs with some nice spurs ( I shot it last season ) Dried them standing up. Then took a disc of 3/16th steel and brazed some 3/4" copper end caps ( 3 on the top for the candles and 2 underneath as cups to accept the legs. ) I epoxied the legs into the cups. I cut some sheet copper into a leaf shape and added it just to get a little fanciful. I rubbed some Linseed oil onto the legs when it was all done. I wonder what kinda bid I could get on E-bay with this thing ???? Of course I aint selling this one. BOW

Attachments

inchr48

I envy talented dudes. When someone asks how big it is, tell them "2 feet".

Can't wait to see the knife. Good luck with the neck.

cjack

I dried two feet in the same fashion and was trying to decide what to do with them. Was thinking of making a pen and pencil holder with them. You've got a cool idea. What did you finish the steel and copper with? BTW good luck on the recovery!

Last edited:

Bigolwiggler

Cjack. I primed the metal with regular metal primer after scuffing & wire brushing it up. Than top coated with this Rustoleum "Multi-Color" finish . It looks kinda cool. Its almost like it has sand in it . It gives it a textured finish. A little tricky to use, don't spray it on too heavy. I did two coats. The copper Ivy Leaf... I just brazed it on, dunked it in water to cool it . That gave it kind of a nice Fall color. I masked it off when I painted/primed the rest. I gave it a rub of Linseed oil too when I did the legs. BOW

Top Bottom