Turkey loads?

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Ok, here it goes, don't bash me too hard for asking this, but i'm a rookie to turkey hunting so here it goes. I have a 20ga and have two boxes of 3" #4 steel shot, would I beable to use this or should I buy some turkey loads?

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Mel,

3" steel will certainly kill 'em, if their close enough. But, unless you have a ton a turkeys around, and you can pick whatever shot you want. Why not shoot the best....20 gauge Hevi-shot 5's........

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
No question is dumb Mel, we all started out not knowing anything about turkey hunting.

I agree with Steve, with the smaller gauge I'd want the best knockdown available. Steel just doesn't have the downrange energy lead or Hevi-shot does.

azbiggame

Reaction score
MEL - Good advice from above.Buy some turkey loads,for Your "20",but more Costly doesn't always = better ??? #4 steel,I do not even use this load on Ducks,much less a 20 lb Gobbler !!! Good hunting this Spring,and rember to "Yelp not PUTT" ---

RR1

Reaction score
Don`t know what choke you use, the reference is from www.trulockchokes.com/faq. May want to check it out if applicable to your situation.
Do not use any choke tighter than modified constriction with steel shot unless the choke is specifically marked for use with steel shot.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Mel, go ahead and buy a box of hevi-shot or Bismuth (if you can find it). Or get some lead. Steel will kill 'em, but something with more knockdown is a bit more forgiving if you miscalculate a little. And a wounded turkey is HARD to trail.

radioleo

Reaction score
Hello Mel,

My choice would be Winchester Xtended Range 3 inch Turkey Loads # 5.
I just bought three boxes of them about month ago went down to a rifle range with a hunting friend to sight in our shotguns and rifles. This shell has Unbelieveable and its down range power is GREAT we set up turkey target @ 45 yards and every shot was a DEAD bird WOW what a shell by Winchester.

Winchester is also running a Special promotion if you buy two boxes of these shells you can get a
camo cap, and camo mask from Winchester. I already received mine and they are nice addition to my turkey hunting equipment.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom