Turkey nest pics

WI Mike

Reaction score
Howdy folks, I just stopped by to throw up some pics of a nest I found back on May 11th. My hunting partner and I were in this woods scouting, we were walking back out to the truck when a hen jumped up from out of nowhere right above the road we were walking too.
 She only ran off about 30 yards and started cutting, really giving us hell. We quickly found her nest, and I snapped off a few fast pics before we beat it out of there so she could get back to her nest.
  The old girl had her nest right off the road, less than five yards. She was sitting on top of a bank that rose up from the shoulder of the old dirt road, it doesnt see much traffic.
  Here's a couple nest shots...

She was tucked in right underneath all the sticks that run over her nest.

We drove by her the next morning, and there she was sitting. These pics were taken from inside the truck out the rolled down window. We just slowed down and got a couple pics before getting out of there before she bumped.

We drove by again a few after that, and there she was sitting. I sure hope this one's clutch makes it....I apologize if these pics are too big and take a while to load.

(Edited by WI Mike at 4:07 pm on May 23, 2002)

MBullism

Reaction score
I've found nests full of shells before, but not full... that's cool...  Man, I might have been tempted to take them eggs for the incubator, but I guess that wouldn't be right, eh?

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Great pics Mike - Thanks.  Keep 'em comming.  I have looked for years for a turkey nest and have never seen one.

MBulism - I think it's illegal to take wild turkey eggs in Ohio.  I'm also pretty sure it's illegal to posses a live wild turkey.

jayber

Reaction score
Neat pics!  What area of Wisconsin (SE, SW, etc)?  Might try my hand at turkey hunting this fall.  Thanks for sharing!!

MBullism

Reaction score
Bald Eagle-

yeah, your right.  Here in MA it's a no no to disturb nests...  I was hoping the emoticon would give me away.  In MA if you get a propagators license you can buy the eggs though, and possess the "wild" birds (eastern strain).  I'm pretty sure it's covered under the same license to raise/release and recapture pheasants/chuckar etc.

('sides, I'd much rather let 'em get a couple of years under their belt..and then they're all mine...)

M

woodsman

Reaction score
Cool nest pics ! that's a first for me to .WELCOME TO JHP MIKE  

WI Mike

Reaction score
Thanks folks, thats the second nest I've found. The first one was six or seven years ago. She had just began laying and there was only four eggs in the nest. No idea there was a nest around, I all but stepped on her when she flushed out.

jayber, the west central part of the state. Barron county to be exact, almost as far north as you can hunt turks here.

Paul, good to see you here buddy, I might have guessed if theres a turkey board anywhere old maytom is there.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for dropping by WIMike and posting those unique pics.

I've never found a turkey nest and I just know 1 person who has. My uncle found one along a skidder trail under a pine tree years ago. I did flush a hen two times along this same fenceline 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure she had a nest there since she came out of the same spot in the cover so I never went back in hopes she wouldn't abandon the nest.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom