Turkey nests

Duke

Reaction score
Are there not many nests this year my uncle cuts hay and has not hit a nest yet.  He usually has already hit about ten by now.  I haven't came across none in the woods yet either.  Have you noticed this or is it just my area?

(Edited by Duke at 3:13 pm on June 3, 2002)

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I have found 2 nests this year on accident,i dont go looking for them though,its best the hens are not bothered.It has been another good year for them so far so im betting that there are plenty nests out there,not to worry.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I think all the rain's might have hurt turkey nesting but am hoping (if it did) it wasn't too late for them to re-nest.   Saterday, I heard turkeys gobbling a lot,  and talked to a neighbor who also noticed the same thing and said they'd been gobbling all day ! ! !

Which, to me, is a sign the hens are receptive again.  I found one destroyed nest Memorial w/e and had a "Bearded" hen play the broken wing trick on me last w/e, altho I could find no nest.....

I think it will be ok this year tho

Hey Duke, I got a buddy that lives over by Stony Hill, but havent talked to him since Turkey Season.

Tinhorn

Matt in MO

Reaction score
My 13 year old son found a nest yesterday that was broken up, but from the way he described it (ends broken out) they probably hatched.

Went to the in-laws lake the other day and two wood duck boxes and one goose tub were abandoned with eggs still in them intact. Evidence showed the water came up three feet just drowning the eggs. Guess the overflow couldn't handle one of the deluges they got a few weeks ago (6+ inches in a short time).

Chairman

Reaction score
I've never seen a turkey nest before.  Does anyone have a picture of one?

StringShooter

Reaction score
Chairman,
The Discovery Channel did 2 shows, one on "The Whitetail Deer" and the other on "Turkeys". If you want to see some good viewing on both, these are some tapes to see. They show how turkeys nest, protect the nest and everything in between The Whitetail Deer video is great also. These are not hunting videos but really show you how both animals live and are very helpfull to a hunter.

Contact them to see if you can get the copies or ask when they will air again. Thats what I did and they provided the next air date.

Chairman

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, StringShooter....

I watched a "History of Hunting" & a "Camping Technology" documentary on the History Channel, the last couple of nights.  Supposedly, there's gonna be a documentary on Camouflage, too.  There was also a documentary on Fishing too, but I only caught the last 15 minutes of it.  I was sorta shocked to see such positive views being aired.  I ain't complaining, though!

I think it would be a great idea to write them and say "Thanks"!

Later....

Update:   Saturday 6/15   Camping Technology
             Saturday 6/15    4X4's
             Tuesday  6/18    Camouflage

(Edited by Chairman at 11:05 am on June 14, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
This past w/e I was putting out a movement camera and a hen jumped off a nest about 10' from me.  She was "Setting Hard" for sure, nest had 13 eggs

Naturally, she jumped up after I cleared out all the brush, attached the camera, hung the "Squeaker", etc.   Had to remove the cam etc.  figured it'd not be good if a recorded quail in distress sounded off every 20 minutes for a week.  I got some more brush and tried to make the site a little safer for her, didn't know what else to do. (took 2 pix's of nest tho)

I also talked to a Ranger and asked if he's been seeing any young turks this year.....he said not a one.............

Tinhorn

Chairman

Reaction score
Tinhorn ~ Does this mean you'll be posting the pic's soon?! (hint-hint) :smile-big-blue:

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Chairman,

here's that turkey nest I fould.  Hens will cover the nest with leaves if they have time, and it makes them harder to find.  I flushed this one and she didnt have time to do it.

Chairman

Reaction score
Thanks, Tinhorn!

How did your camera setup work out?  I remember you had to move it.  Did you get any interesting pic's?  I know, I know ~ you post one picture for me, and how do I thank you - I ask for more.... ;) (just messin' with ya)

Thanks again.....

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi CM,

Never got a pix the entire week ! ! !   the Squeaker was a Qual in distress recording, guess no predators were interested or it scared them off  he he.....not even  a deer or coon or squirrel?   weird, it was on a good loggin road I thought.  I walked by the cam both at setup and at pickup and it snapped my pix so know all was ok otherwise

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom