turkey pics from saturday

killinturks

Reaction score
these are pics of my 6th season bird, i hope this works because im not really up on this photo stuff yet.if the images are too large or take time to load i apologize for the inconvenience.as you can see i shot most off the beard off, gotta learn to aim a little bit higher when shooting downhill.
http://community.webshots.com/user/killinturks

(Edited by killinturks at 7:07 pm on May 22, 2002)

(Edited by killinturks at 7:10 pm on May 22, 2002)

(Edited by killinturks at 8:26 pm on May 22, 2002)

MBullism

Reaction score
Nice job, KT!

I always shoot almost the entire beard off, too...'cept I just gets shorter, not thinner!

M

woodsman

Reaction score
I'd like to say those pics are cool or the best i'v seen but I only see the small box with the x in it .:nope-blue:

killinturks

Reaction score
well, it came up once because i looked at it. i dont know why it works and then dont, i had the same thing happen in the test forum, sometimes there and sometimes not?????? maybe it needs to be squashed or something

MBullism

Reaction score
I had to right click the red x, copy the url, close the properties window, paste the url into the address bar and click go to see them...  I think it has to do with the place you posted the pics to...some don't allow direct links...

woodsman

Reaction score
I did the same as MB .Cool good looking bird ,thats a long beard

killinturks

Reaction score
hey, thanks for poppin up the pics, and for the compliments. after i cleaned and froze the bird i gave it to my buddy who owns the land cuz he didnt get one this year and i got two. the next time i see that bird it will be in the pan. its his wifes turn to cook anyway cuz i cooked the last one. i gotta take care of dessert this time.  its great to have good folks to share with.

killinturks

Reaction score
thanks, mike where in wisconsin are you? westfield here. glad to see some local folks finding this place, theres some really good postings here and friendly folks too.:toast-yellow:

WI Mike

Reaction score
Killinturks,  I live near the small, quiet town of Prairie Farm in Barron county. It's about 90 or so odd miles north of Eau Claire I believe. It's in turkey Zone 37. We got great hunting here, gobblers in every woods, but more applicants than tags for the spring season. This year was my first year I did'nt get drawn for the local tag, and so they sent me down to Fort McCoy to hunt. Beautiful country and great folks there. Lot's of turks too.

killinturks

Reaction score
WiMike, thats some pretty country up there. i took a motorcycle ride up to Haugen several years ago.at that time there was a great little restaraunt we ate breakfast at, a very small place. the toast was about an inch and half thick, and one of the biggest piles of hash browns i ever ate.  hwy 35 up to Superior is a really nice drive too, somewhere north of Lacrosse along the river is an area where i'd like to move to when im ready to slow down a bit.
I usually hunt in zone 23 where my dads farm is but i started  hunting in zone 18 this year since they sent me an extra tag for it. zone 23 is a really big zone so it seems you always get at least one tag for there but there is a lot of hunting pressure by my dads. its a lot of farms with woodlots surrounded by fields. when they started putting in turkeys years ago they just took right off. theres a lot of public there also but it gets hit hard. still a lot of birds in them but spooky. in zone 18 where i live theres a lot of birds too but theres less public, its still good hunting though.
did you hunt right on the post?

WI Mike

Reaction score
KT, I think I might even know the cafe you mentioned, I've got a few friends in the Rice Lake - Haugen area. Your right, the drive up to Superior is nice, when it gets in the 90's and humid, man thats the place to be is up there on the north shore of the big lake. Always a cool breeze blowing.
 I've never been down in zone 18 or 23, but I see on the zone map that in 18 there is more tags available than applicants. Sounds like good turk hunting down your way.
  Yep, you hunt right on the base. McCoy has thier own thing going on where they have a drawing for tags for folks that came up empty handed in the regular state draw. When we got down there and talked to a few other hunters, there is a lot of people ( most of them from close by ) that dont put thier name in the hat for the Dec.10th deadline drawing, but then get into the McCoy drawing afterwards. A lot of guys I talked to have been hunting there every year for years. Kind of make a annual vacation of the thing, with camping, ect... I forget how many thousands of acres belongs to the Army, but it's plenty. It's all sectioned off into thier own zones, you have to check in daily to see whats opened or closed to civilians. You have to carry the maps on you while hunting, or you dont know whats going on. The seasons start on Monday and run thru Friday. No hunting on weekends because of Nat. Gaurd's manuevers. Except the first season...thats only a three dayer. You have to sign in/out, and your checked by MP's when entering. It was pretty neat, you can take the tank trails as far as you think your truck can take it, or walk off into pristine, big timber wilderness. I've never seen hunting pressure like that, We stayed in a motel in nearby Tomah, and before dawn opening morning it was a long convey of turk hunters signing in and entering the main gate.

I was in and out of there opening morning, taking a nice two year old gobbler with 1" spurs, fifth bird to come in at the place they registered them.

(Edited by WI Mike at 4:20 pm on May 26, 2002)

killinturks

Reaction score
sweet, i really like the way you set up the pictures, there is really good color contrast and the way you set up the backgroud was excellent. im surprised you said they have more tags than applicants in 18 because i know 2 people who didnt get a tag but maybe they didnt list alternate seasons. i dont  limit myself, i try for first season at my dads in 23 then i try for anything available in 23 or 18, but ill go anywhere if i think i can find a spot.
yeah its pretty good around here, the birds took right to the patch woods round here.

Top Bottom