Turkey season

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 would like to wish everyone luck and to say be safe,make sure its a turkey and watch out no one mistakes you for a bird,be sure to come back and tell a tale!!
 Its awfull hot so take water.and dont forget to throw in a plastic bag or 2 for mushrooms they are up in force.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I couldn't make the opener but went this AM.......Skunked........

didn't even hear one till 8:10 when 2 answered my Slate Call while I was walking along.  I got setup and they closed the distance to about 200 hards when I decided to Cut with my Diaphram......that did it!  they Cut out of there ! ! ! !    won't do that again

Didn't find any mushrooms either

Got back to the car about 12:15, all hot and bothered,  Man!  what did Dan'l Boone do without a Pepsi?

Tinhorn

Chairman

Reaction score
I went out Monday morning and didn't even hear as much as a gobble....

Tuesday morning was a totally different story!  They were gobbling all around me.  I had 2 gobblers coming to me, but 1 hung up and the 2nd was headed-off by dogs in the woods....

I'll probably wait until this weekend to go back out.  I pulled my shoulder out of place a week ago, and man is it in pain.  I couldn't pass up opening day, though - I haven't been able to hunt the Spring turkey season for 4 years.  Great timing, huh?!

Good luck, y'all ~ Be Safe!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Went out this AM (Thurs) and talked to one for 1-1/2 hrs, it was about 50 yards from me when it got spooked by another hunter that tried to sneak up there where we were at.  The only one I heard all morning.  

Got aggravated and left the woods at 9......the pits........

Tinhorn

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Man, are they done gobbling in Phelps and Dent counties?  

Skunked........

Tinhorn

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Hey i went out this morning(late agian)and heard only one gobble,i dont think thier gobbling very good,Some days they tear down the woods others they are tight beaked.
Going out agian tommorow(cant give up till the last day).
 While i was out today i did jump a hen in some thick brush,so i walked over thinking id find her nest and sure enough there it was,14 eggs,i didnt touch nothing and left very quick like,That was at 9:35AM,awefull soon to be on the nest,i would say that there has to be alot of lonely Toms wondering the woods,Tommorow im going to set up where they like to hang out,put up decoys,Sit and call from that one spot all day,Maybe ill catch a tom coming in silent.
   I thought about putting a cam on her nest but i dont want to disturb her a second time,im pretty sure that would be enough for her to abbandon it.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Waited for the weather and tornados to clear up last SAt and Sunday. Monday tried our farm near Bowling Green and bumped the toms off the roost at 10 am while trying to peek into the field where they hang out with the ladies.

Tuesday went up north to a CA and talked to several toms but the hens just walked them away. Hung out until noon hoping they would get lonely but I think the weekend pressure had them pretty call shy.

Thursday I thought I try the farm again after running into too many hunters at local CA and learned from neighbor that they had bought the hunting rights to 700 acres we been hunting on for 27 years. Ouch. He also had a nice tom on the tailgate, shot him at 1030 am. A lot of the hunters I've talked to are getting their birds between 9am and 11 am when the hens leave them alone.

I've got one day left so if anyone wants to do a hunt holler by email or messenger today.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
Well Tinhorn i do believe that your right,they are not doing anything for me at all now.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Well Passthru,

Went this Morning (Sun) and heard more than usual, about 6, was on some private land I'd not hunted b-4 about 5 miles from Anutt.  Talked to one a while but he didnt like me, finally a hen came up and "Talked" to me and the game was over  :(

Huntin' Pressure on Public Land is the area has been way more than I've ever seen.....

Tinhorn

Don Martin

Reaction score
Hello fellow turkey hunters! I just retunred from hunting turkeys in Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas and I can tell you that without a doubt your turkey hunting in Missourri is number one! I got a 22 1/2 lb. bird that had a 10 1/2 inch long brushy beard and 7/8 inch spurs while hunting near Knob Noster on April 29. Saw from 5-20 gobblers a day, but they weren't in the talkative mood most of the time (except when on the roost). My host got a 23 lb gobbler with a 10 1/2 inch beard the day before I did. After hunting in Arizona, Oklahoma and Arkansas belive me, you guys have it good! Plan on coming back next year- but will skip those other states. Don Martin

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
Don Congrats,Im glad you had a good time here in Missouri,And yes we do have good turkey hunting,we also have a nice herd of deer.

Don Martin

Reaction score
Pasthru:

Yep, saw some deer, and when I took my bird to a taxidermist in Warrensburg he showed me about 200 set of antlers. Some nice bucks for sure.
Where I saw the best whitetail antlers on these hunts were from the Red River country in southern Oklahoma. My cousin has several sets of antlers in his barn that ought to be on a wall! Lots of "trash". His son took one last year (its at the taxidermist) that has a 29 3/4 inch outside spread! The landowner in Missouri where I was at doesn't care alot for deer and invited me to come back and shoot on his place. But that's a long way to go though for a doe or two.
I'm a outfitter/guide here in Arizona and the fall is usually real busy for me. We have some whitetails, they are called Coues- and they weigh about 100 lbs dripping wet, and if they score 90 or better they are big bucks! Mule deer is my real passion and I guide ont he Strip where we regularily look for bucks 30" or better. Our best is 34 3/4 wide 8 X 7 that scored 217 B&C gross, 212 B&C net.
If not for the humidity and ticks, I could get real excited about Missouri. The fishing was great- went to Truman with a couple of buddies and got 33 crappie and 6 bass one evening. Yep, really like your state, wished it wasn't so far.
My hunting buddy lives and works at Whiteman AFB at Knob Noster, so that's my connection out there. Tried to hook up with a guy from Oklahoma, but that hunt flamed when he didn't show. Going somewhere new is tough and without some help, success isn't easy.
Oh well, had a great time..will do it again.. Don

Top Bottom