Turkeys in Bishop??

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Wild rumor goin round, a turkey hunter saw 2 wild toms struttin near Bishop. Can anybody confirm this?

I thought the local district DFG guy vowed never to let turkeys into the eastern Sierras???

If so how'd they get there?

Glass eye

Reaction score
A few years ago I saw a strutting Merriam's with his hens just a couple miles north of Markleeville.

chompot

Reaction score
Although I could get to San Diego or the coast much faster than Bishop, I would still love to hunt there because I am familiar with that area and it is beautiful.

I do not know about birds there though. Rogue transplants?????

Jesse, did Dave mention those birds at the meeting?

I have seen them up near McGee creek, but that guy has them in a cage...lol

ilovesprig

Reaction score
They had to have been pen raised, because there's been no OFFICIAL plants in the Eastern Sierras.....
.... Onyx Ranch got birds a number of years ago (Southern Sierra), but they have never really moved much. It would be great to get them into Kelso Valley, the Scodies, and the Tehachapi's.

luv2heargobbles

Reaction score
the birds are already well into the Tehachapi range, though mainly on private ground. I'm not going to give specifics but we hunt east of Johnsondale so I see no reason why birds have not moved up the range. Aren't there birds right outside of Tahoe too? Those plants were over 15yrs ago. Granted it's quite a distance from Bishop but given lots of time and their natural migration there could easily be small pockets of birds throughout the Eastern Sierras.

mattbc

Reaction score
I have lived on and off in the Mammoth area for many years and have done quite a bit of duck hunting on the Owens East of Bishop but never seen sign of turkeys. Not bad habitat for turkeys though.

DRAKE11

Reaction score
I have heard from some locals(friends) I know in Bishop, that they have even seen them on the eastern side of the owens river. I dont see why not, there is everything they need.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Get them 395 guides in here (jerkee), they're always out glassin, see what they've been seein.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom