Twenty grazing deer killed by train in Idaho

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
DECEMBER 22, 2001, 08:30 AM

Twenty grazing deer killed by train

Associated Press

DIETRICH, Idaho - Twenty deer seeking food and an open area out of the heavy snow were killed Thursday by a freight train near Dietrich.

A witness says there were nearly 60 deer along the tracks. The engineer blew the horn, but the animals tried to outrun the train.

Earlier in the week, a group of antelope died on U-S Highway 93 between Jerome and Shoshone. More than 60 deer have died since September along state Highway 21 in the Boise River Wildlife Management Area near the capital.

Idaho Fish and Game conservation educator Mike Todd says once the snow accumulates to more than two feet, the animals try to find areas free from the snow and wind.

sven

Reaction score
My dad is a railroad engineer.  He's made a lot of ground meat over the years.  Anything from coyotes to deer, and even a cow once.  Trains can't stop on a dime, and they also have very bright headlights.  Not much the engineer can do in situations like that.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I've had bad luck with my rifle, maybe I should get a train, but know my luck I still wouldn't get one  :laffin-yellow:

Top Bottom