Twisted line trolling

E A Hunt

Reaction score
New to trolling and i can't figure it out.

I have a high end swivel at the end of my main line.

That swivel is connected to the rudder on the flasher.

I still get twisted line.

What to do ?

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I've never been able to get totally rid of twisted line while trolling. But I have two ways of straightening the line.  The best is by taking all hardware off the line and trolling it behind the boat for a while.  Another method, which I use when shore fishing, and I forgot, or got too lazy to straighten the line while trolling, is to put a couple high end swivels on the end, attached to a tree or bush, then letting out a 100 yds. or so of line and just pulling it tight and letting the swivel do most of the straightening -- this works to different degrees depending upon the type of line.  When all else fails, I eventually just put on new line.  I'm no expert on trolling, but I'm familiar with the problem.  Maybe there are some more experienced trollers here who can give a few hints.  Good luck!

Fubar

Reaction score
E A  What kind of reel are you using?  Spinning reels can twist your line if you pull line off the reel using the drag.
What kind of trolling are you doing? What is your setup?                         Fubar

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Fubar, with all due respect, I don't think your description will twist the line.  If the handle on a spinning reel is cranked while the drag does not let line come on the reel (either too loose drag or too much tension on the line), that will twist line.

It sounds to me as if EA's trolling setup is spinning in the water and his swivel isn't isolating the spin but is letting it transfer to the line.  The only suggestion I'd have is to try different set ups.  Pretty ambiguous answer, sorry.

Fubar

Reaction score
Grey  Thanx.  Thats what I was trying to say about a spinning reel. If you crank the handle and the drag is slipping on a spinning reel, that will twist your line. I have seen some people let out line by pulling it off the reel with a loose drag. This will also twist your line.
Like jackrabbit said if you are trolling and in a boat you can fix the line twist by dragging your line behind the boat with nothing on it.
If you are trolling with a reel other than a spinning reel the problem would have to be with your setup. You can hold the lure underwater next to the boat by placing your rod tip under the surface and observe the action of the lure. If it is spinning (and it not supposed to), you are using the wrong lure or it is being trolled at the wrong speed.
I dont recommend trolling spinners like Panther Martin or Mepps.
Like Grey says you might need to try different trolling setup. Something in your setup is spinning around and the swivel is not doing its job.               Fubar

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom