Two Bison with one crossbow arrow

mattador96

On 05/08/10 I had the opportunity to hunt the Twisselman Ranch located in Central California. The ranch is well known for it's excellent pig hunting as well as its exotics. The ranch has Ramboullet, Barbados and American Bison in a 1000 acre high fence area that is full of steep challenging terrain. On this hunt I chose to bring my Tenpoint Phantom with TP bolts that were lead by 100 grain Swhacker broadheads. The combo was giving me pinpoint accuracy at the range. We started the morning looking for wild pigs. It is a little early in the year for pigs becasue they had just planted barely which is the main reason that pigs would be there. I decided to check out his 1000 acre enclosure with exotics. When we drove up to the fence I could see 4 Bison and numerous sheep. It didn't seem like this would be much of a challenge. When we went through the gate the sheep started to get skitish which made the bison skitish. The longer were were in the enclosure the more nervous they became. Numerous times I passed on shots becaus the animlas were so cloe together that I feared I might hit more than one. I had decided eralier that if I shot a Bison I would shoot the cow. She was 1500 while the bulls were 1750. I was trying to stay within my budget. Finally the bison moved to 40 yards of me and the cow I was watching moved ahead of the heard giving me what I thought was a clear shot. I ranged her, put the 40 yard dot behind the shoulder and pulled the trigger. I heard a loud smack and the cow ran off to the left and collapsed after 20 or so yards. I looked up and saw a bull with my bolt sticking out his neck and about ready to topple over. He was bleeding really heavily and expired shortly thereafter. I am honestly not sure how this happened. Did I make a bad shot? Did the bull move just before the shot? Did the broadhead redirect within the cavity of the cow? The Swhacker is still in very good shape. That one bolt killed both of them with one shot. According to the guide I am the first person to ever hunt that ranch with a crossbow. He was very impressed with the power of the Phantom and said that even magnum caliber rifles don't drop bison that fast

Attachments

mattador96

I payed full price for both. 1500 for the cow and 1750 for the bull. In the past he has charged up to 3500 for bulls. This could have been much worse.

rooster300wsm

So what you are saying is you need a bigger freezer or to sell some buf. let me know. lol. I don't know weather to say nice shot or that sucks. ither way that phantom has some power.

Killzone

Hey hows the quality and taste of the meat. What did it wind up costing you after processing? Bet your dog loves those bones too.

mattador96

The quality of the meat is very high. Those burgers are unreal. The cow was 1500, the bull was 1750, the butchering fees were 550, and the freezer I bought was 641. I probably would have bought the freezer anyway. Overall, minus the freezer, the animals cost me roughly 6 dollars per pound based on the meat I actually got. Not a bad deal.

JimT

The quality of the meat is very high. Those burgers are unreal. The cow was 1500, the bull was 1750, the butchering fees were 550, and the freezer I bought was 641. I probably would have bought the freezer anyway. Overall, minus the freezer, the animals cost me roughly 6 dollars per pound based on the meat I actually got. Not a bad deal.
I pay $6.49 a pound for ground bison at Ralph's. Love it though.

Top Bottom