Two Late Season Tags Legal ?

map

Reaction score
Is it legal to hold two late season deer tags? I drew X 12 again this season, but I have to drive through D 6 on my way home. Plus the X 12 herd will sometimes run back and forth across the Sierra Crest into D 6. And I mean, "run". I have never had a standing shot up there, plus I almost froze to death last season during an early storm. When I got back to my camper, the propane tank regulator wouldn't work at that elevation. Well, I guess that's life up in the high country? I'm lucky to be alive!

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Map (Richard),

Can I ask you a question about tags in Cal? I know it's probably old news to everyone but it's new news to me. I've just heard that if I was to get a archery tag in Cal and not find success during archery season, then the tags will also be good for rifle season as well. Now is that true or is someone just pulling my legs? Here in OR, it's one or the other. I know it's got nothing to do with your question but it's my "Is it legal" question to you if you don't mind.

BOHNTR

Reaction score
For general deer tags sold (A, B, D zones) you can hunt there with an archery only tag during the archery and rifle season........but you must use a bow. You can never use a firearm with an archery tag.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
So basically it's just kinda like an extended season for archery. Hmm that's awesome.

youngr24

Reaction score
if you buy a general season deer tag in ca. it is good for the zone on the tag during archery season and during rifle season. A, B, D zones only. during archery season you can hunt with a bow only and during rifle season you can hunt with either. but you can not have a firearm with you if you are hunting with a bow even during the rifle season. you can buy an AO tag (Archery Only) and hunt A,B,D zone all season long with a bow

hope that makes sence

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Makes sense now. Sorry Richard if I just took over your post but lets get back to your regular post now.

map

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Makes sense now. Sorry Richard if I just took over your post but lets get back to your regular post now.
No problem.....I used to hunt up at Iron Gate with a buddy from Grants Pass, and the deer were on the California side. It could have changed in the past 8 years, and they are now on the Oregon side? The upper Klamath is beautiful country. Good luck.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Map, you used to be able to get an X12 tag and a D6 tag since D6 was issued first come first served. So you could theoretically get your X12 in the draw as your first choice and then get D6 as your second tag, again, in the past.

Now D6 is termed a Restricted Zone and you have to use your first deer tag application. That means you cannot get both X12 and D6 since both would require a first tag application. It's either/or now.

You could still get a second tag for another D unit, it just can't be a "restricted" zone.

Glass eye

Reaction score
Scenario
You got an X zone tag and an adjacent D zone tag. You are parked at the trailhead in the X zone but you are hunting the crestline. You venture into the D zone ( you have a tag for it ) and you kill a buck there. You tag it with your D zone tag but now you have to carry it back into the X zone.
You get checked by a Game Warden, or God forbid, by the US Forest Service.
Are you now busted for a crime you did not commit ?

Glass eye

Reaction score
Map, you used to be able to get an X12 tag and a D6 tag since D6 was issued first come first served. So you could theoretically get your X12 in the draw as your first choice and then get D6 as your second tag, again, in the past.

Now D6 is termed a Restricted Zone and you have to use your first deer tag application. That means you cannot get both X12 and D6 since both would require a first tag application. It's either/or now.

You could still get a second tag for another D unit, it just can't be a "restricted" zone.
Nate
He can still get a D6 tag with a 2nd deer application. He must wait until after August 3rd, providing that they haven't sold out by then.

Reactions: map

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Good point. Yes, provided tags are still available you could use your second tag app after Aug 3rd. The last few years they have sold out early. I was assuming they would this year too but you are right, they may not.

map

Reaction score
Nate
He can still get a D6 tag with a 2nd deer application. He must wait until after August 3rd, providing that they haven't sold out by then.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to take a chance on this new restricted D 6 tag, and send in my second application today. I assume that it's first come - first served? I am now down to zero preference points because to getting X 12, so I better get in line now. My second choice would probably be the unrestricted A Tag. Back to having a heat stroke at FHL.

One thing that hunters who put in for a X Zone Tag should think about is that these Zones close well ahead of any migrations. When the yellow leaves of the Aspen tress fall to the ground and the brush looks barren, that's the end and the good bucks are still up on top. The D 6 area stays open for another 20 days, which are usually the best not counting opening day. Watch for a pack train heading out, because the deer come running back down from St Mary's and go into X 12.

Richard
b

Glass eye

Reaction score
Map
I would ask F&G what would happen to your 2nd deer app if you submit it today.
Will they hang onto it until Aug 3 and then include it in the draw?
Or will they reject it for being submitted too early ?

map

Reaction score
Thanks again. I never thought that I would see the day when D 6 is Restricted to a draw. Hope that isn't a trend for the rest of the state.

Richard

map

Reaction score
Okay, I called the License Branch in Sacramento, and the lady said to send the Second Applications for the Restricted Hunts in now. (D 6 plus the Archery Hunts C 1, 2, 3, and 4).

I have been pretty lucky lately with two X 12 tags in three years. Counting my boy's X 12 tag four years ago, I have been in X 12 for three years out of the past four years. Been up there so often that the bears know me. There are 4 bears that I have yelled, "Yo Bear" "Yo Bear" at so many times that they know my voice now. They are probably bears that were shipped out of Yosemite?

While I had the lady on the phone I was going to mention the fact that during the early 70's we were allowed 2 deer, but only one of them could be out of the late season. As I remember it, it was 3 points or better for Mule Deer. I was going to ask how they expect to have trophy Mule Deer bucks up there, when they allow two forked horn bucks to be taken by each hunter every year who wants to hunt the the Sierra Crest? Well, I didn't say anything, and will let the younger generation figure it out for them selves. She sounded like a nice lady, so go ahead and call her with your questions.

Thanks for all the help, becasue I am having trouble understanding what I read, nowadays. :bag-on-head:

Flinch

Reaction score
Restricted hunts

The restricted hunt was only proposed and fell through ... I contacted the DFG, and they wrote me back that none of if was "passed"

Orygun

Reaction score
extended season for archery. Hmm that's awesome
In some parts of the state there are large areas that are closed to the use of firearms. Those are places where having that AO tag is nice. In areas where you are up with several hundred(thousand) guys with guns, not so much, unless you have access to private ground.

There are places where I would not want to be within bow range of a buck when a guy with a rifle can also see that same deer. There are idiots that would try and hoot the buck out from under you even if they knew yoiu were there.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Orygun,

Yeah that's true. Well my wifee's uncle has a cabin up in Sonora adjacent to public land that will see nice bucks coming down to the property during rifle season. I've asked him if he see's them during archery and he says no, mostly does and fawns. But during rifle season when everyone's chasing them up in the higher elevations, that's when he starts to see bucks down at the cabin. I believe Sonora is in D6 but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just trying to get the best out of the area before he sells that cabin.

map

Reaction score
The restricted hunt was only proposed and fell through ... I contacted the DFG, and they wrote me back that none of if was "passed"
The lady on the phone said that D 6 was a Restricted Area, so we can assume that the guys who win D 6, whether on a First or Second application, will loose all of their Preference Points? I don't think that D 6 is worth it, do you? I drew X 12 this season, so I am wondering if a hunter can have less than zero Preference Points? Will I go backwards? Anyway, it's too late now, becasue my second application for D 6 was mailed last Friday, and the lady said that the drawing will be during the begining of August. crazy!

Last edited:

Flinch

Reaction score
Let's clarify the "Restricted" deal ... and then some

The lady on the phone said that D 6 was a Restricted Area, so we can assume that the guys who win D 6, whether on a First or Second application, will loose all of their Preference Points? I don't think that D 6 is worth it, do you? I drew X 12 this season, so I am wondering if a hunter can have less than zero Preference Points? Will I go backwards? Anyway, it's too late now, becasue my second application for D 6 was mailed last Friday, and the lady said that the drawing will be during the begining of August. crazy!
Map .... this is the letter from CA DFG ....please read on. And, After yu read this I have input for your questions above ...

From: Craig Stowers <cstowers@dfg.ca.gov></cstowers@dfg.ca.gov><!-- Add To Address Book Link --><small>[Edit Address Book]</small>
<!-- To -->To: mikerri@earthlink.net
<!-- Subject -->Subject: regulation question
<!-- Date -->Date: May 21, 2009 10:59 AM

<!-- Message Body --><table class="msgbodyPlainTextWrap" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>

Mr. Larsen - Eric forwarded your email to me and asked me to respond. The whole proposal was pulled by the Department at the last Commission meeting, so none of the changes proposed will be implemented for this year. Tags for D6 will continue to be distributed as they have in the past.Basically, the proposal was to classify the various zones based on the date they filled. For D6, that would mean that you could get one through the draw or over the counter up until Aug. 1 using a first deer tag application (required for the draw anyway), and if any tags are left over after Aug. 1 then you could use either a first or second deer tag to get one. However, if more applications for those tags were submitted then were available to distribute, it would require another draw to fairly distribute them.It's pretty much the way D6 operates now; the proposal was to allow us to more quickly adapt to increases in demand. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.Craig StowersCa. Dept. Fish and GameDeer Program Coordinator1812 Ninth StreetSacramento, CA 95814(916) 445-3553

The lady on the phone said that D 6 was a Restricted Area, so we can assume that the guys who win D 6, whether on a First or Second application, will loose all of their Preference Points?

You have to be carefull when you call the CA DFG ... the "lady" didn't know what she was talking about ... she is a clerk just refering to the "Proposed" booklet. Now for the better part

You only lose preference points when you put in for premium zones (X,G,M,J, and A (Not AO)), as draw them as your first choice. This means if you had one of these as 2nd choice, and you draw it (and there are a few zones that this is possible), you don't lose you points. But, you drew X12, so you lost your points

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Latest Posts

Top Bottom