Two piece housings and mounting the pir inside

Tominator

Reaction score
Someone on here used a 3 receptacle box to hold their camera so I took my cam to the hardware store and searched and found one that is perfect. The ribs on the inside catch the hump for the viewfinder perfectly and prevent lateral movement and with a little trimming of the ribs in the back the camera can be flush mounted. I think I'm going to put the camera in one of these and use a blank cover to enclose it then stick the pir inside a single gang box and mount it to the triple as a complet unit. When you mount the pir inside and the fresnal lense is mounted flat, does this suffieciently limit its range to the periphery or will I still need to tape off the sides to get the limited range I want? My current housing is a scrounged plastic case and is too big, that's why I'm looking at smaller housings.
Tominator

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
The distance from the fresnal lens is what will determine the sensitivity to a point.

Tominator

Reaction score
I get that, what has me asking questions is the relationship of the lens sections to the sensor on the board. I assume the curvature of the lens is done to direct the sections of the lens to the sensor. If flattened, wouldn't only the more central sections reach the sensor?
Tominator

u turned em

Reaction score
Tominator,

I also took a look at the receptical boxes, but all I saw were one's with perforated knock outs that I would have to further water proof.  I found and will use the "Carlon" brand exterior  boxes that are easily available at Home Depot and Lowe's. They are very heavy duty plastic and are available in many sizes.   There are no knockouts and they come with a water-tight gasket for the face plates.  The only disadvantage to using any receptical/junction/conduit boxes is that they are not hinged, but I guess that you could add a hinge.  Just a suggestion..........

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Put it flat. Doesn't make a difference. Still won't limit the range. If its a Radio Shack fresnal, good luck. In my openion, they suck and are the devil to align properly. I threw the ones for the rs PIR's I used away.

Tominator

Reaction score
No rs sensors here, thanks for the info.
Tominator

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Tom, play with the vertical alignment a little to get the amount of downlook you want it to have before fixing it perm.. Davered1 had a good post on fresnal alignment as far as the bars. Find it and check it out.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom