Two/Three wire question

SHARP SHOOTER

Reaction score
I have two cameras set up with the two wire set-up. The first one works in or out of the camera. I can get the shutter button back on but it is tight. Know in the directions, it says that with the two wire set-up that you can't use the camera seperate. But they work either way. Are they working correctly or will there be a problem with the pictures taken out of the camera. The reason for the post is due to the fact that with the second one the first time that I tried to use the camera it clicked then nothing. I looked in the counter window and the letter "H" was blinking. I took the camera apart looked it over re-assembled, and now it works fine. Anyone else run into this situation. I have taken normal pictures with the first one and they looked fine. Just wondering why it says that you can't use it outside the camera.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
The camera will work and take ok pictures with the two wire set-up.  It disables the autofocus with a two wire.  The three wire allows the camera to AF and also allows for a refresh.  I have'nt seen the "H" but if you short pin 4 and 5 without 6 the camera will lock up and you will have to take out the batteries.  Does the canon manual; say anything on error messages.  

SHARP SHOOTER

Reaction score
Elkhunter,
So, even with the two wire system using it in the trail camera it locks the AF. So the bottom line is, it will take better picture in and out of the trail cam. If thats the case I am going to convert all my cameras to the three wire system. Is this right?

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I really dont think you would see a difference,I wire all mine with the 2 wire setup and get great pics,also i can use my cams independently.

SHARP SHOOTER

Reaction score
Passthru,
Are you able to get the shutter button back on without trimming? What size of wire do you use?

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Yeah,I drill a small hole in the front of the cam right above the "a" in Canon,i then route my wires to a spot where they wont be under the buttons,wire size i dont remember,its the smallest i could find at RS in the 3 spool pack,18ga????

bat

Reaction score
Passthru, I believe that 3 spool wire is 22 guage might be mistaken.  Check for this wire, RS item # 278-871 (intercom wire) it's 24 guage 3 color and works really good.  I'm not sure of the colors, I got a short piece from one of my buddies...gonna get some more of it tomorrow.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Sharpshooter,

I am olny repeating what Ive heard about the AF.  I can't speak to picture quality in or out of the camera with a two wire set-up, but I'm sure passthru is right.  I alwaws use the 3 wire with a refresh.  I like the mode and count options on Brians chip.  With the ms20 the camera can lock up after 3 min of motion without it.  I just like bells and whistles.

I drill my hole right below the 1st "n"

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Bat is most likely right,im not good at looking at wire and telling the size(threw the package away),i just know its small and flexible.

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Wiring the camera with the two wire set-up does not disable the autofocus.  It does, however, prevent the use of the focus "locking" feature which is of no use in a trail cam.  Focus locking allows you to "lock" focus on a subject and shift the camera off of that subject to frame a different background while keeping your intended subject as the point of focus.  In a trail cam, the autofocus will still function just the same...whatever is centered in the frame will be the focus point.

SHARP SHOOTER

Reaction score
OK, I will not worry about changing my other cameras to the three wire system then. Thank you for all of the information. I think I will get the smaller wire though. I believe I have the 22 gauge wire. I will look for that 24 guage @ RS.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
In the Canon Owl PF, the flashing "H" means the film stuck in the canister for some reason and didn't advance, it happens to me on real cold nights sometimes.  

A flashing "25" means the camera had trouble rewinding the film, like maybe from weak batteries.

With both errors, usually just shutting and opening the Lens Cover clears the problem, altho you may need to change camera batteries.  If this don't work, open the battery door a few seconds and when it's closed, it should clear the error message

Usually, you can continue using the film without further problems.

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom