Two wire setup with refesh?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi all,
While tinkering around with the latest bit of code for my microcontrollers - trying to free up an extra In/Out pin - I realized that we don't need to use a three wire shutter control in order to have a 'refresh'!
Since at best the Owl cams need a little over a second to snap a pic - you can just have the refresh be a shorter pulse of about 1/3 to 1/2 second.  That's too short to cause a pic to be taken - so you can just bridge the 1/2 and full press shutter contacts like in the two-wire setup.
This should save a bit of work, parts, and PC board space.

Seems like this should work fine for the Owl cams - don't know how well it would work with other models. Some cams don't like having the 1/2 and full contacts tied together - other cams might snap a pic too fast.

Archilochus

INshedpicker

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right on Arch.  I sort of discovered this when trying to put a PF in my Camtrakker, I just didn't take it the extra step.  When wired with two-wire setup, the pulse from the Camtrakker wasn't long enough to trigger a pic; it would only get the job about half done(I don't know how long the pulse was).  It would take a bit of tinkering to get the timing right.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Hmmm, thats very interesting Arch.... wonder if that would work with the D370 as well....

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Man, I snuck out on a vacation for a couple weeks and now I'm LOST around here ! ! !

I used the 2 wire refresh on the cam (Owl PF) that took 7 seconds to fire (after setting out all night) with good success for about a year but then all of a sudden, the cam started taking a pix with every refresh pulse????

My refresh pulse may have been too long tho, I was using a TLC 555 wired as an Astable and maybe the 1/4 sec time Drifted.  At any rate, I opened the cam back up and added the 3rd wire and went to the "Conventional" refresh....

Just a note; When I 1st started using this circuit (and it was working Ok), I did plug in 2 other Owl PF's but they snapped a pix at every refresh pulse so maybe some cam's won't do as well as others or at least the refresh will have to be kept very short

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Wish I had some PFs that would take a pic in 1/4 second!  Also, you'd lose some of the functions of the cams when removed from the housing.  Darn... I NEED one more I/O pin!

Archilochus

Top Bottom