uncommon brass cartridge found while scouting

Backcountry

Reaction score
I was scouting this past weekend deep in the backcountry of X12 (with BDB and in2blacktail) and we stumbled upon a fired shell casing that none of us has ever heard of.

The cartridge is head stamped "REM - UMC" and below that "250 HP". I have never heard of a .250 caliber, and I'm also at a loss for what the HP stands for. The case is approx. 1.9 inches in length. A quick internet searceh turned up very little, except that this is indeed a rare cartridge.

I'd like to think this case represents a sucessful hunt for some old-timer back in the 50's or 60's.

Can anybody tell me anything about this caliber?

Thanks, Backcountry

AMMOe

Reaction score
Sounds like 250-3000 Savage round.~AMMOe

Backcountry

Reaction score
Thanks! Any guess as to what the HP stands for? I doubt it means hollow point, because how often does the cartridge headstamp describe the bullet it holds (answer... never)?

Backcountry

Backcountry

Reaction score
Thanks, that makes sense, thanks. I have no idea why I'm so curious about that shell... I guess because we found it in a really remote and hard to get to place, and it's kind of neat to think somebody shot a super-buck there back when the getting was better (and it must have been real good, because it ain't bad now).

Backcountry

Top Bottom