Unit 30b information

ElkDeer

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was fortunate enough to get a first-come, first-serve white-tail tag in Unit 30B. The problem is that I have never hunted Unit 30B and I am looking for any information anyone can provide? Where to go? How to get there? Who to talk to to get permission for private land access? Scouting reports? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I have read some other postings in other forums and although some people say Unit 30B is shot-out, I am really excited about hunting a new area. There is a lot of talk about the coues white-tail in the Mule Mountains, any truth to this?

Thank you in advance for any information you may have. Any hunt is better than no hunt at all!

Coues

Reaction score
There are decent numbers of deer in the unit. The problem is access. There are only a few access points into the USFS property and that concentrates all the hunters into a few small areas. I saw a 90'ish buck there last year while scouting pigs for another client. If you can haul enough supplies on your back for 2-3 days and get way up and away from the roads, you can do ok. There is a reason those tags are leftovers though, it's a tough hunt, but like you said, it's better than no hunt at all.

ElkDeer

Reaction score
Thanks Coues! I'm thinking about buying a custom map from www.desertbull.com. Any hints are where you were scouting (north or south part of Unit 30B)?
Also, does anyone happen to have any contact information of who to talk to about Unit 30B. What I'm most concerned with is access like Coues stated. I would like to get some contact information of people around the area so when we go scout we can talk to them about them letting us on their property. Thanks.

ElkDeer

Reaction score
Thanks Coues for all the information you provided. Does anyone else have any info?

ElkDeer

Reaction score
I'm going scouting this weekend so I'll post some information this weekend about what we see and/or hear.

ElkDeer

Reaction score
My dad and I spent all day this past Saturday checking out the unit (30B). We took High Lonesome Road, from south of 47 Ranch all the way from the East Mule Mountains to Bisbee. We tried every road off of it but every road was either locked or had "No Hunting" signs posted. We did talk to a rancher and he told us we couldn't get into the East Mule Mountains from his ranch. Interesting?
What we ended up doing was checking out the Dragoon Mountains and I think that's where we're going to hunt. We did see one doe in the Mules and one doe in the Dragoons. We might even go checkout Black Daimond Canyon in the Southeast Dragoons next weekend.

ElkDeer

Reaction score
Well our hunt did not go as well as planned but we had fun. On Friday morning, we saw a doe and her fawn. About an hour later, some hunters walked through the area we were glassing and pushed out one spike and a one 3x3 but all I could see was the tips of the antlers because of the thick Pinons and I couldn’t get a shot off in time. We didn’t see anything the rest of the day. On Saturday, we saw the same doe and her fawn and then sat and glassed all day and only saw 3 doe. I know that buck was there somewhere watching us through the trees. On Sunday we sat in the morning and didn’t see anything so we decided to start hiking around. We spooked one doe but that was it. Finally, on Monday, we walked the flats and only spooked 4 doe. It was frustrating to not get any shots off but it was definitely fun to get out in the wilderness and enjoy the wildlife.

AZHunterC

Reaction score
Sounds like you gave it a good effort Elk Deer. There is always archery in December.

ElkDeer

Reaction score
I haven't taken up archery yet but a fellow hunter of mine is trying to get me into it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom