Unknown Rock ?

DanV

Reaction score
Found this while hiking Paynes Ranch a while back , never seen anything like it before ! Hard and heavy like a rock witha real slight waxey feeling , Tried to scrape it with my knife , hard as could be and nothing else like it to be found in the surrounding area that I have visited over 100 times . Told the kids it was some kind of petrified small dynosaur brain as a joke .

Any ideas on what I have found here ? Any for you real smarties out there it is not the clothes pin , that is for size comparison !

The sections will not come apart under medium force , prying .

Attachments

bodega

Reaction score
Payne Ranch is within the Coast Range, so it should be a mix of sedimentary rocks, some slightly metamorphosed, some Sonoma Volcanics. What you found doesn't look like a weathered clast of sediment. I'm thinking an old salt block or a calcareous concretion, but they shouldn't be that hard. When you scrape it against a knife, does the steel blade get scratched? Does it smell like borax? Does it taste salty? Did you find it in the creek behind Roadkill Cafe? By the way, I'll be out there Friday morning. Hear any gobbles?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I'm no paleontologist, but that's definitely a petrified small dinosaur brain. Probably a teradactylvelociraptorbrontosaurus.

DanV

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bodega @ Apr 22 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Payne Ranch is within the Coast Range, so it should be a mix of sedimentary rocks, some slightly metamorphosed, some Sonoma Volcanics. What you found doesn't look like a weathered clast of sediment. I'm thinking an old salt block or a calcareous concretion, but they shouldn't be that hard. When you scrape it against a knife, does the steel blade get scratched? Does it smell like borax? Does it taste salty? Did you find it in the creek behind Roadkill Cafe? By the way, I'll be out there Friday morning. Hear any gobbles?[/b]

No smell what so ever , does not scratch my knife blade and not even a hint of a salty taste . Found it off of Hwy 16 , maybe a little over a mile in off of the old stage coach route . It was up hill from what might have been a stop over spot for the stage , just a pile of old boards with foundation pillars made from the local rocks ( flat ) , might have been a very old ranch house !

Have not been in there since Turkey season started , have not seen turkeys at the Cafe in a few years , a good place to look would be at the pond and surrounding area west of the cafe . You take the road past the cafe until it splits and go to the right .
Use to be a LOTS of turkeys even in the valley and the hill/creek behind the cafe , back in the first couple of years that area became public and very few knew it . In the meantime its become a zoo and you have to draw for the opening weekend , of which I have been unsuccessful at ! I've also seen quite a few birds south of the cafe around the bigger pond ( lake ) and the other pond further south . Good luck with your hunt in there .

DanV

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SDHNTR @ Apr 22 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm no paleontologist, but that's definitely a petrified small dinosaur brain. Probably a teradactylvelociraptorbrontosaurus.[/b]

Come on SDHNTR , even my kids did'nt buy that one ! Besides your above mentioned hybrid would have a larger brain and lived in So. Cal !

A petrified turd was actually my first guess !

DanV

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BelchFire @ Apr 22 2008, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanV @ Apr 22 2008, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A petrified turd was actually my first guess ![/b]
And you tasted it ..............

[/b][/quote]

........ mmmmm taste ! ....... good thig we don't step in it !

smelled it first , any kind of do-do smell , no taste test !

ranchwife

Reaction score
This looks similar - coprolite - is dinosaur dung. Do a Google image search for corpolite.
Coprolite

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Not exactly sure what it is but it looks REALLY familair.

No doubt that dinosor poop has lost it's scent since being dispensed.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
I see that you are located in Northern California... maybe take a trip over to Berkley. The have a paleontology department there. I am sure that they can shed some light on the mystery.

Kentuck

Reaction score
I work with a bunch of rock and mineral heads. I'll ask them tomorrow what they think.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Just talked to one of the guys at work. He says it is a clay concretion. Probably started out much larger but got compressed down. Occasionaly these type of finds can contain fossils but he said this one probably doesn't since the fracture lines aren't what they would see in a sample containing fossils. He threw out a couple of mineral names but they didn't stick with me.

bodega

Reaction score
Hey Kentuck, good call. Who did you talk to? (My CAI is sage). It looks like a coprolite, but they usually don't get preserved unless silicified. I was thinking it was some evaporite, like salt, that weathered and got smaller and denser.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Bodega,

All I work around are Geologists, Geophysists, Petroleum Engineers and the sort. The guy I talked to used to work for a mineral company and would go around looking for precious metal deposits before he worked here. My cai is cmow.

Kentuck

fossilman

Reaction score
It sure isn't a coprolite.They get agatized and (Or) petrified with very hard elements....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom