Unmatching Horns

woodseye

Reaction score
I don't know why but I'm getting a lot of strange horn pics this summer. The big one has a three point deformed antler and a regular four point. He is about 200# and very wary,had the odd horns last year but a lot smaller.Probably an injury to opposite side.Would you guys shoot this buck?Just curious,small buck appears to be injured and scared up some.Neat what you get sometimes on film.

woods

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
That is odd woodseye. I have a couple of pics where they have one side deformed and I saw a little spike that had a 6" spike on one side and nothing on the other.I just assumed he had been injured. I don't know maybe someone will have some info.Good pics.

shadow

Reaction score
I read on Texas Parks and WildLife web site that "deformed" or "hurt" deer should be "culled" out of the population to help keep the "bad genetics" from passing on.  Makes sense to me.  Unfortunately that also use's one of your tags. Like the county that I hunt in we are allowed 2 doe and 1 buck so I try to chose carefully.  I personally would take the one horn out since the second is is so well developed and the other is not even half.  At that stage of growth it's doubtfull that it broke off.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Do you live near a power plant, or the Hudson river?

Just Kidding....

I had a friend who hunted some land with lots of weird racks, I't's probably genetic. Your breeder buck from a few years ago probably started it.

I think I would shoot that 3rd one, it looks pretty mature to me.

woodseye

Reaction score
Well if the problem is injury related than its not genetic or in danger of being passed on.This is the case with two for sure,the 8 point that just has a stub on one side may be another story, but I don't know, as no sign of injury. The deer came in different townships so they are miles apart and probably not part of an interrelated family group.I think the large one was injured by a poacher and the fork hit by a car.I've been caming in these areas for 7 years but never saw any but the big one in years past.

woods

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
For some reason injurys do affect antler growth. Some folks I knew when I was a kid found a fawn that had been hit by a car and lost a hind leg. The next year when it was a spike, the antler on that side was very deformed and narly. The other was perfect.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I have heard that deer that have injuries to their "coin purses" can cause strange antler groth as well. There was a story about a buck that had a mature rack all year round, appearintly he lost his family jewels on a fence, and never shed, or regrew antlers. Not sure if there is any scientific evidence to back it up though?

martin

Reaction score
Leonard LaRue has a great book out called "The Deer Of North American" (or something close to that).  I would recommend this book for anybody--it covers everything you ever wanted to know about deer and has a chapter on antler development.  I bought a copy for myself and also my hunting partner at Half Price Books for about $10-12 a copy.  I would rate it a must read.

Bow Runner

Reaction score
coyotebandit
I've come pretty close to losing my family jewels on a few fences before,

What Pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tominator

Reaction score
If #1 comes by I'm probably gonna take my lunch out of my pack and offer it to him, he looks kinda scrawny. #2 or #3 get shot.
Tominator

rutnduck

Reaction score
Ditto to Martin's comments on Leonard Lee Rues  "The Deer of North America".  It almost feels like I'm in biology class again but it's interesting this time! LOL  He does explain the antler growth cycle as well as causes of deformaties with a great deal of research to back up the theories.

I also agree that the 3rd deer is the only one that looks 'mature'.  

Sure is petrculiar to have that many deformaties in one area.

(Edited by rutnduck at 3:01 pm on Aug. 20, 2002)

jayber

Reaction score
I had a lot of pics of small half-racks last year.  Unfortunately, they never were to be seen during hunting hours!  Wouldn't hesitate to take 'em out of the gene pool!

Top Bottom