update on your MtGoat GSP's

quailhunter

Reaction score
I was wondering how are Rusty's littermates and all the other MtGoat GSP's doing?
I'll be taking Rusty over to Larry's place next tuesday for his 3rd stage training and I've been running him almost everyday now. I'll post some pics of him sometime this week.

brushstomper

Reaction score
Hey quailhunter,Rusty's sister Holly is doing great. She has turned into a great family dog and a hunting machine!!!! I plan on getting together with freedivr2 with her sister Addie to shoot some pen raised chukar here pretty soon. I just put her through a snake clinic on Sunday and she did great! Can't wait for the season to start. We will be out for the early Mountain quail season in mid September. If the birds cooperate I would still like to get together for a group hunt somewhere generally located for everyone. Happy hunting,B/S

STEVE IN SOCAL

Reaction score
1 YO Woody was banished to the kennels last night. He found something wonderfully dead and smelly to roll in.

If we want to get together, we can use my place in Independence as a base.
It's got lots of parking for camping or RV's. My only rule is...NO LOOSE DOGS!
They'll have plenty of time to run in the field.
I smell a BBQ....

brushstomper

Reaction score
Steve, funny how it's like winning the lottery when they find something dead they can roll in. How is Woody doing? Did you get to hunt him at all last year?

Lets definitely do a bar-b-que and bird hunt up in Independence!!!!!

STEVE IN SOCAL

Reaction score
Woody was pointing and retrieving wild birds last year. I don't do a lot of structured training...he just lives in the house and has learned to do as I say. I'm just keeping out of his way re the bird hunting...his natural abilities will carry him just fine. As I've said before, I'm in Ben Williams camp when it comes to owning/living with/hunting with bird dogs. If they're well bred, just get out of their way...just be sure they're obedient. I don't need steady to wing and shot.
My only concern at this point is varmints (rabbits and squirrels). My 5 acres is overrun this year, and he has taken to chasing them. I'll have my work cut out for me this fall if it becomes a problem when bird hunting. GSP's were originally bred for 'fur and feather', but I'd prefer to keep it to feathers.

quailhunter

Reaction score
It looks like they're all doing great, let's just hope we'll have a good season this year!!!!!
Brushstomper: I love your girl Holly, she hunts with a lot of class.
Steve: I'm sure that Woody's natural abilities alone would make him a great hunting dog, post some pictures of him!!!!

Strongarm

Reaction score
I have a dog from larry that is from a more recent litter. Kobe wil be 6 mo. old tomorrow and will be going back to Larry for his first coulpe stages of training in about 2 to 3 weeks. This is my first hunting dog and i am very excited to see him in the field. So far he has been a great pup and has been a fun addition to our family. i dont have a more recent photo of him on my laptop, but here is Kobe when we first got him 3 1/2 months ago.

Josh

Attachments

Troy08er

Reaction score
Gator will be at Larry's July 8 or July 9 for his first training. Anyone have quail numbers for 2009.

Attachments

quailhunter

Reaction score
WOW these are all great looking dogs!!! It looks like the MtGoat club is growing, keep the pictures coming, Rusty is over at Larry's place being trained since tuesday

white99

Reaction score
I'm not sure which litter Snickers is out of but he is just over 14 months. I bought a couple of pigeons last week and took him out to see how he would do. I was all ready to pop them out of the launchers at the first movement. He stopped on first scent and froze. I waited for a couple of minutes and I moved up thinking he would go for the bird. He looked at me once and them turned back to the bird. I finally had to urge him to break point so i could launch the bird.
On the second bird he did the same thing. Only this time after about 3 minutes of being on point he came back to me, bit my hand to make me press the button on the remote, threw a rock at the bird and knocked him out of the air, retrieved him and then put him back in the launcher and went back on point. Man those dogs from Larry are great.

Oh man I'm just joking. I had to put the bird back in the launcher!

Troy08er

Reaction score
Is kobe and Gator from the same litter? Gator was born 12-25-08.

Strongarm

Reaction score
Troy,

Yes Kobe is from the same litter on 12-25-08. So i guess they will be going through training together. Thats cool. You are taking him out to Lary this weekend?

Josh

Troy08er

Reaction score
I'll going to take Gator Thurs., what about you? Troy

Strongarm

Reaction score
Troy i am taking Kobe over on Monday after wrok. You planing on making visits to see Gators progress?

Troy08er

Reaction score
I'll go back in about 6 to 7 weeks. I am thinking about going down on a Fri and leaving Sat. morning. I'll need to talk more about the dates with Larry. I can't wait for QUAIL SEASON. What about you?

Strongarm

Reaction score
Troy i am very excited about this upcoming season. This is my first bird dog so i cant wait to see waht Larry can do with him and getting to hunt behind my own dog this year. I am fortuneate to live near Larry(about 15 minutes away) and plan on making visit to see the progress and help out where i can. I will take photos when i can and will be sure to get some of gator working for you.

white99

Reaction score
The best thing I ever did was to go down and give larry a hand and let him train me how to handle Cocoa. Go as often as you can.
Jim

Strongarm

Reaction score
thanks for the info Jim. i plan on it!!

Droped Kobe off tonight at Larry's. Let the fun begin!! Also Larry's got two new litters on the ground incase you know of someone looking for a new pup or you need one yourself. Here are some pics!!

Attachments

Troy08er

Reaction score
I drove off with Gator on that same stake. When I jump in the truck I told my wife, Larry has some new pups and a female would be nice.Long story short, I didn't get a new pup.Strongarm, if you post some pics that would be real nice. When I come down I'll bring some steaks and beer for the BBQ. I think Larry likes Nigra Medelo "dark" beer.
This is my second bird dog first GSP.At my work the trash talking and bets has already started. I have two friends that bought GSP up north and they just got them back from training from the same guy.My other friend has a Brittney. It's game on

thanks for the info Jim. i plan on it!!

Droped Kobe off tonight at Larry's. Let the fun begin!! Also Larry's got two new litters on the ground incase you know of someone looking for a new pup or you need one yourself. Here are some pics!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom