Upland Game in San Antonio

bigtroutbane

Reaction score
Anybody know how the Dove, Quail, Chuckar etc. are around San Antonio, TX.  

My father-in-law and brother-in-law whom I usually hunt with are moving down that way next month due to job transfers.

Oh well.

Whoadog

Reaction score
I highly doubt that there are wild chukar down there.  Texas has good quail and dove populations the problem is the majority of it is private and can be expensive.

Brian

gantley

Reaction score
Being from Texas let me put my two cents in.  First off start off looking at the regs and zone map for dove at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/hunt.htm.  The zone map is at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/hunt.htm.  If you dig around in the regs book you will find some information on public dove leases.  They do not publish the lease information on the web (yet...sigh).  So tell them to go the local TPWS office.  The have a copy you can look at.  I checked this program out a few years ago.  Most of the leases were in the central Texas area over grain fields.  At the time this was not an option for me.  

I live in Groveton which is East Texas.  As for the Dove report, I thinks I gona eat good this year.  I have never seen so many bird and I have not even started scouting yet.  Some of the guys here at work find farms (dairy farms mostly) that have fields of what we call Goat Weeds.  Then then find the nearest house to locate the owner.  Gerald said they have never been turned down when they asked if they could hunt for $10 to $20 a day.

Now if they want to shot pigons, find a grain bin and just ask.  I have heard of folks handing the shot shells to use for free to get rid of the pest.

And if they are going to be in San Antonio they will be in the hart of texas deer hunting.  Day hunts and package hunts.  

Call it inflation.  I know this is more than two cents.

Top Bottom