URGENT - Need letters written ASAP

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Guys,

We have a real problem happening with the Sac River NWA management plan. The plan is out for public comment and one of the Anti-groups got a link on MSNBC and has been able to generate a lot of letters to the Complex asking for NO HUNTING on this chain of refuges. THE COMMENT PERIOD ENDS AUGUST 20th - THIS IS VERY TIME CRITICAL. The Sac River NWA is an area with a lot of potential for upland and waterfowl, no to mention of great importance to salmon, shad and striper fisherman. I need each of you and as many friend, family members, etc you can muster to write a letter to the Complex supporting hunting on the Sacramento River NWA. The letters can be really short - but should mention "opening the refuge to hunting and fishing is consistent with Federal and State laws and the purpose of the Sacramento River NWA." (Alternatives B (55% open to hunting) and C (73%open to hunting) propose opening portions of the refuge to these uses. The Complex's proposed action is Alternative B. CWA is supporting Alternative C - which is more area opened). Let's get everybody we know mobilized on this.

Jackie Ferrier
Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge Complex
752 County Road 99W
Willows, California 95988

(530) 934-2801

jackie_ferrier@r1.fws.gov

If the Anti's "win" on this, it could set a precedent and a course of action for the upcoming reviews on the management plans for the the Complex (Colusa, Delevan, Sac & Sutter), the Grasslands and the K-Basin. We need to be successful on this or we will have a real fight over the next 5 years.

IBAfoo

Inactive
Reaction score
Can you post the MSNBC link? and we can hit it directly in the same input basket as the antis!

fat.eatingducks

Reaction score
How 'bout we suggest they make one of the properties be a youth refuge...perhaps the Rio Vista unit. That might get the thought process back on the right track.

MexHunter

Reaction score
Our group was working with the new San Diego NWA area in the southern part of the county on a one on one basis with management and making headway with the goal to include hunting as a preferred use. Sheryl Crowe had a concert in a venue a few miles from the new wildlife area and worked with animal rights and environmental organizations to promote a letter campaign. We were caught with our trousers down around our knees as the powers that be said they would not stick out their necks in the face of a lopsided input from the community. We are not getting hunting in the San Diego South Bay.

I hope this will get all of that read this to submit a letter to Sac River NWA and not be caught short.

Russ

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
The link and/or address the letters are being sent to are the same ones I have posted. As Mexhunter posted, these anti's can gain the upper hand quickly, so don't worry about what they are doing - lets be offensive and get our letters/e-mails in ASAP. This will be critical to waterfowling in CA the next few years, and as everybody knows what happens here will travel east fast enough. As Mr Fife would say, "We need to nip it, nip it, nip it in the bud". Lets get everybody we know involved in this or we may have serious issues hunting USFWS lands in CA sooner that we would ever want.

IBAfoo

Inactive
Reaction score
This went out Sunday pm.....

Dear Sir/Madam/s;

It has come to my attention that there is serious consideration being given to banning hunting on the Sacramento River National Wildlife Area.

This would be a very bad policy error. These refuges were established for outdoor recreation. These refuges are supported by the hunting community. Hunting on these refuges is consistent with California as well as Federal laws and the purposes for which these refuges were established.

No organized groups care more about conservation of waterfowl that the hunter supported groups like Ducks Unlimited and California Waterfowl Association. CWA is supporting option "C" which would make 73% of this area open to hunting.

I urge you to support that option as consistent with good conversation practices.

Thank you,

Don Heinsohn

Duckit

Reaction score
Anybody know how the land aquisition was funded? Have we hunters funded the purchase of the properties through taxes, licenses and stamps?

wildfowl1

Reaction score

letter sent, this is a huge issue that needs support by all...

keep em coming,

d trees

Reaction score
Gang

Please take the few minutes to get involved with this evven if you dont live in Northern Cal or dont plan on using the area "like Myself " if we dont start getting involved in these fights for hunting and fishing area's were all going to lose in the end ,Derek

d trees

Reaction score
From the refuge:

buriani
Senior Refuge Member

The antis are attacking!!NOW!!
Making the Sac River NWR a no hunting refuge could well happen if WE don't get off our butts and fight back. There is an organized letter campaign by the antis to make the new Sac River NWR not accessible for ANY hunting. See the stickys for more details. We only have 5 DAYS to fight off this attack. I started my own e-mail campaign among my family and friends asking that they e-mail the project manager, Jackie Ferrier. If each of us contacted about 5 people for help, we MAY be able to defeat the anti's. They were leading by a factor of about 3. If that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will!! Please start your own chain letter to stop the antis. Small price now or don't do anything and the price of hunting will go up real quick. YOUR CHOICE!!

Rudy my chain letter's are out today ,d

Socal Waterfowler

Reaction score
I just sent my e-mail a few minutes ago. Hopefully we get enough guys to come through and win another battle against the bird lovers.

d trees

Reaction score
Me, Kristin , her boss four coworkers my parents grandmother and neighbors with my help and I even paid for there stamps, to easy remember you dont have to be a hunter to have them agree to sign a letter saying they believe hunting should be going on at a property funded by hunters money
,d

chavarriamj

Reaction score
I sent mine in this morning. Can't let this happen. We need to work together.

MJC Duck Commander...

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
we need to be steps ahead of the anti's . . . learn where they are going, know why they think what they think, now there positions so that you can have an accurate rebuttal.

http://www.refuges.org/

Reaction score
I can get at least 4 out from my family.

Do they prefer e-mail over snail mail? Sometimes people get pissed when you load up their e-mails and faxes!

IBAFoo...I hope you don't mind, but I semi-plagiarized your letter as a starting point! It didn't end up looking the same at the end though!

Thanks!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom