URGENT - SAN JACINTO NEEDS YOUR HELP - NOW!

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Riverside Planning Dept. is holding a meeting for approval of a plan to build homes and businesses right up against San Jacinto's boundary.

A Meeting is September 6[SUP]th[/SUP] at 9 AM at 4080 Lemon Street, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Floor, Riverside, CA 92502

I just heard about this 'Planning Meeting', and started to look at the plan.

I first wanted to see the Agenda for the meeting:

http://planning.rctlma.org/PublicHearings/PlanningCommission/2017PCMeetingsandAgendas.aspx

Agenda not yet even posted on their site!

And, not even listed yet under Calendar:

http://riversidecountyca.iqm2.com/Citizens/Calendar.aspx

They do have a link for live streaming of meetings:

Planning Commission Meeting Dates, Agendas, Actions, and Video
Live streaming is now available for Planning Commission meetings held at the Riverside County Administrative Center (CAC).

Click here during the meeting to see live video.

Specific Plan 342 (SP 342) Documents - Villages of Lakes:

http://planning.rctlma.org/Portals/0/splans/sp_document/sp342/SP342_lup.pdf

FULL Specific Plan 342 (SP 342) Documents - Villages of Lakes:

http://planning.rctlma.org/Portals/0/splans/sp_document/sp342/SP342_full.pdf

Approved Zoning Ordinance:
http://planning.rctlma.org/Portals/0/splans/sp_document/sp342/SP342_zord.pdf

Excerpts from the Full Specific Plan:

THE VILLAGES OF LAKEVIEW is nestled between the Lakeview Mountains and San Jacinto River, and is adjacent to the San Jacinto Wildlife Area.

The project proposes a General Plan Amendment to Trails so that some trails proposed by the project can be designated as Community Trails. Generally, the project proposal for the Community Trail designation would affect the trails proposed within the Metropolitan Water District aqueduct property, portions within the center of the project near Central Park, and along the northern boundary of the San Jacinto Wildlife Area.

Flexibility has been designed into the Specific Plan to respond to the changes in society and the economic marketplace which will occur over the 20+ year build-out of the community. Further, the Specific Plan establishes the regulations and standards for the protection of open areas adjacent to the development, along the San Jacinto River, San Jacinto Wildlife Area, and the Lakeview Mountains. More than half of the land will be open space of some sort.

In general, higher densities are proposed within the interior of THE VILLAGES OF LAKEVIEW, while lower densities will be developed towards transition edges adjacent to the San Jacinto Wildlife Area, Lakeview Mountains, and the existing community of Lakeview/Nuevo. A carefully crafted circulation plan will minimize the impacts from anticipated traffic on existing rural roads, while balancing the need for connectivity to adjacent areas.

The Enclave Village provides for the development of 181 gross acres of development including High density, and Very High residential uses with a target of 1,380 dwelling units. There is also the MWD property through the Village and an open space conservation area, which includes the MSHCP wildlife corridor. A potential K–8 school and joint-use park site is located south of the MWD aqueduct property.

South of Ramona Expressway, the project site features a distinctive topographic separation; gently sloping bare fields and rugged steep mountain area. The gently sloped areas are mostly active agricultural fields. The rugged steep mountain is a part of the Lakeview Mountain at the project’s southern border. North of Ramona Expressway, the project site involves very flat agricultural fields bounded by the San Jacinto Wildlife Area (SJWA). The project touches the SJR (San Jacinto River) at the northwest corner. A small developable area located east of Bridge Street, involves a separate tributary area from the southeast mountainous areas.

Greenbelt The passive portion of the Greenbelt (portions of Planning Areas 5, 7, 21 and 22) is located within the Resort Village and will provide a variety of activities to the greater community while serving as a buffer to the San Jacinto Wildlife Area. The Greenbelt may include demonstration gardens, stormwater treatment and conveyance facilities and trails. The Greenbelt‟s passive recreational areas are intended for day-use activities, and will be unlighted in the evening.

An interpretive sign will educate residents and visitors of the ecology and environment within and surrounding the San Jacinto Wildlife Area and will be located in the Greenbelt. With a view structure and interpretive area, residents and students will learn about the migratory birds and their connection to the local ecosystem.

Planning Areas 6 and 8 will provide more active recreational amenities within the Greenbelt in areas located closest to the residential areas and other recreational facilities. Uses within these planning areas may include unlighted ball fields, community gardens, a small amphitheater used for demonstrations and without amplified sound, dog parks, picnic areas, lighted (shielded) tennis courts, restrooms, and parking. Active uses will not be placed within 200 feet of the San Jacinto Wildlife Area.

A trailhead for the Resort Village will be located within the Greenbelt with information about the San Jacinto Wildlife Area. A kiosk with trail guidelines and distance markers may be provided.

THE VILLAGES OF LAKEVIEW proposes approximately 1,000 acres of conservation open space throughout the project site. The project is located between two conservation open space areas. The San Jacinto Wildlife Area is located to the north and provides opportunities for open views from park spaces, interpretive signs, and a trail along the edge of the property.

A 12-foot wide trail runs along the side of the drainage channel, in the Resort Village within the Greenbelt. The trail is accessible from all parts of the community from both on- and off-street trails. The multipurpose trail will accommodate equestrian uses, bicycles and pedestrians. The drainage channel running along the trail may be characterized by a riparian planting that features clusters of shade trees and shrubs from a California-appropriate landscape palette. This trail will be built on the north edge of the Resort Village as part of a buffer between the San Jacinto Wildlife Area and the residences. This trail will connect on the eastern side to “QQ” Street and continue around the northern edge along the drainage channel to the far western property line and a possible connection to the San Jacinto River regional trail.

Landscaping shall be provided between all active park uses within the Greenbelt and the San Jacinto Wildlife Area. Landscaping shall primarily include shrubs and small trees. Tall trees which would attract raptor perching or nesting are prohibited.

The soccer fields planned in Planning Area 8 shall be for daytime use only. The soccer fields shall be located adjacent to development and more than 200 feet from the Wildlife Area.

The dog park in Planning Area 8 shall be located adjacent to development and more than 200 feet from the Wildlife Area. The dog park shall be open for day use only. It shall be fenced and restrictions to prevent dogs from getting out shall be posted at the site.

Tot lots and playgrounds within the Greenbelt shall be located adjacent to development and more than 200 feet from the Wildlife Area.

A minimum 500’-wide open space buffer, the Greenbelt, is provided between homes and the San Jacinto Wildlife Area t

Efforts are being made to partner with California Department of Fish and Game, the owner of the San Jacinto Wildlife Area, on future educational programs.

A collection of trails, lookouts, and trailheads will provide pedestrians, bicyclist, and hikers and equestrians the opportunity to enjoy the open terrain that leads to the San Jacinto Wildlife Area.

Design goals of the Resort Village include: Maximizing views to the San Jacinto Wildlife Area.

THIS is scary! I think anyone who can attend should....and I think ALL of us should be calling the Planning Office number: Russell Brady 1-951-955-3025

No Where in the plans do I see anything about impacts to the Hunting Recreation Opportunities! This is terrible

Duck Fan

Reaction score
CWA will have a representative in attendance! JOIN CWA!

I wish I could make that date. It would be a long drive but well worth it

Guys,
This is TOO IMPORTANT to not attend, Call, write!

dukngoosehntr

Banned
Reaction score
These things are rarely attended by the guys that it effects.. Yes CWA sends reps and they do a great job but guys always have a reason why they cant go and then wait if something really comes out of this then the posts will start about how can they do this etc etc....Calling and writing doesn't go to far either as most of the time nobody asks for any written pages on this topic nor do guys take the time to write...

Good Luck

Duck Fan

Reaction score
These things are rarely attended by the guys that it effects.. Yes CWA sends reps and they do a great job but guys always have a reason why they cant go and then wait if something really comes out of this then the posts will start about how can they do this etc etc....Calling and writing doesn't go to far either as most of the time nobody asks for any written pages on this topic nor do guys take the time to write...

Good Luck

So, what do you propose? Writing DOES help. Calling DOES Help. Attending is great but they set it up for a Wed morning, so that makes it hard for most in the area. I am hundreds of miles away, but I can call and voice my concern that the development plans do NOT reference the Recreational Hunting that occurs on SJWA, and does NOT reference potential CONFLICT between hunting, shooting and noise etc and family housing. Those need to be addressed! And it is easy for all of us to make a call and ask it be done. And done in a way that ensures - guarantees - continued hunting rights at SJWA!

I hope Everyone reading this does just that....ATTEND or MAKE A CALL

CWA is a great organization, and we duck hunters would be a in a world of hurt without them in this state. I am glad they will attend and address hunters concerns.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I think this is Lewis Homes back for another attempt to get this approved. I went to the last meeting maybe 6-8 years when they shelved the idea due to poor economy and market. Sad to say but its just a matter of time until they build and then the new neighbors start bitching about the sound of gunshots. Gonna be interesting to see if the pilgrims can drive out the wildlife area.

dukngoosehntr

Banned
Reaction score
Duckfan

I am just stating the obvious... It is always scheduled during the week and everyone or most everyone is at work.. You know that calling and writing falls on deaf ears but I applaud the effort. As always most guys will never take the time to write a letter or call and if so a few hundred calls means nothing to millions of millions of dollars and that is the reality part of these types of situations..

Go online and see how many HUNTERS actually attend I bet it is less then 20 therefore you wont be able to stop the money train...

I have attended many of these types of MEETINGS and they are poorly attended and maybe one time did someone bring up or mention the amount of calls or letters they received..

I agree CWA is great but even they cant stop big business

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Hey Duck Fan,
I don't if CWA has lawyers but if they do, maybe you can forward them a couple of ideas to bring up at the meeting.
All cities usually have noise ordinances. Does the developers plan address this issue? Does a shot gun exceed the allowable decibel levels? Since hunting is an existing State/Federal governed activity are the developers in violations of the city's noise ordinances by placing houses in the planned locations? If this project moves forward will the developer and or the city notify all prospective buyers the houses they are thinking about buying have been built in an area that exceeds allowable noise levels?
They will have to do some research....if riverside does not call out actual decibel levels they can use other cities as a comparison. Also a decibel reader will give you a reading for a shotgun at various distances and they may also consider checking upwind downwind and in calm conditions (at the actual location would be ideal. The more information brought to the meeting the better and if they need more time the may ask for the approval or rejection of the proposed plan be postponed. The following attachment is riversides noise ordinance (not sure if the project is county or city? https://www.riversideca.gov/municode/pdf/07/7-35.pdf

Has the developer completed an environmental impact study on how the proposed development will impact wildlife on the refuge. Don't just think ducks there may be other critters (maybe protected species). This refuge is critical sanctuary for migratory birds. Will night time lights and/or noise from the development affect how the birds use the refuge?
Were is the surface water from the development going to drain? Can it enter the refuge? If so the Impact study should address how this water and the pollutants it carries affects the refuge.

If CWA goes on public record with these potential issues and the city/county/developer has not or does address these potential issues. I would think they would be opening themselves up to potential lawsuits?

There maybe other issues as well, i got to believe the mosquitoes would be horrid? Will the potential buyers know that there is no spraying on the refuge? Could CWA run some informational adds in the local media outlets?
CWA works closely with state and federal wildlife agencies. Can CWA reach out to these agencies and see if they know about, have concerns about or object to the development? It would be great if they were presented at the meeting?

Again..these are only ideas they would need to be proofed out with research.

Limited Out

Reaction score
A lot of good ideas to explore. This areas is real close to the San Jacinto River there might be some flooding issues. Lets hope we can stop the money train.

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Duckfan

I am just stating the obvious... It is always scheduled during the week and everyone or most everyone is at work.. You know that calling and writing falls on deaf ears but I applaud the effort. As always most guys will never take the time to write a letter or call and if so a few hundred calls means nothing to millions of millions of dollars and that is the reality part of these types of situations..

Go online and see how many HUNTERS actually attend I bet it is less then 20 therefore you wont be able to stop the money train...

I have attended many of these types of MEETINGS and they are poorly attended and maybe one time did someone bring up or mention the amount of calls or letters they received..

I agree CWA is great but even they cant stop big business

Yes, it is an uphill battle, but letters and calls do help. It has helped us get more attention to the High Speed Train issue in the Grasslands - which was not being discussed until several groups got involved and individuals showed up to address issues that the HSR Authority thought were a slam dunk. Alternatives are not being discussed...so I still believe it is worth the effort.

This issue at San Jacinto is huge. I know CWA was represented at the prior meeting and has written about concerns that Bankrunner brings up in his post above. CWA does not have a budget to fight this in court, but they are working on this. Hunting is our concern but others have different opinions, and our voice needs to be heard, and at the least - be sure that mitigations are considered if things don't go the way we want. I know many are working hard to be sure that Hunting is discussed and incorporated into the documents...and we all should be working to get assurances in Writing that our recreational actovties will be protected.

We need to be sure WE are seated at 'the table' of discussion.

Top Bottom