Useful tools

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
I've been playing around with slave flashes a lot lately, and have gotten my fair share of jolts from Mr. capacitor. Let me tell you something, the little caps on the cameras are nothing compared to one of the bug caps in a good external flash unit.
To keep from getting zapped while working with flashes I made a shorting rod to make sure that  the cap is discharged while I am working.
What I did was take an old automotive 12 volt test light and remove the light bulb. In place of the bulb I inserted a 10 megohm 1 watt resister. Be certain that one resistor lead goes to the probe end and the other to the wire coming out the back. I soldered a small alligator clip to the wire.
To discharge a capacitor connect the clip to either a good ground on the unit or to one side of the cap. while holding the tester by the plastic handle place the probe end against the other side of the cap. On some of the caps I have gotten an arc about 1/4"away as the probe moves closer. Had that been a finger.... OUCH !!
Anyway, hold the probe against the cap terminal for a moment or two then short it directly against the two leads to make sure it is discharged.
This works fine for me, but use it at your own risk :)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Darn Shrtcirkt,

I was kinda having fun hearing about all those charged up tinker'ers!  he he

Tinhorn

Top Bottom