Using a daylight sensor

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking about integrating a daylight sensor top my cameras  so that pics are only taken during the day. Has anyone played around with these?  I did a search but did not come up with any discussions.  Any thoughts? ideas?

Thanks,
ToddP

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Arch!!!!

Just the kind of info I was looking for.  I can see the soldering iron heating up now....

I'll let you know how I make out.

ToddP

d91

Reaction score
Sheeeewwwy, if I did that... I wouldn't get any pictures. I was starting to wonder if there were any deer on my lease at all til I put the cams out.

russ

Reaction score
Hey Todd,
    Let us know what you come up with.I'm not real good at figureing out the electronics on some of this stuff.You may think this is crazy but I was thinking of building a unit with 2 cameras in it.I have picked up alot of older Cannons great day pics,but nothing like like PF's night pics.
   Set up 1 camera for day no flash,other cam high quality film useing PF set for night only.Both in one encloser 36/24shots each72/48shots togther larger power supply would be great for those out of the way areas.I wouldn't start out building one like this but with my extra older cams it would give me a way to use them.They just don't compare to the quality of the PF's night pics.

Possum

Reaction score
Good option to try, but I get 95% of my pics at night except in early November.  My cams would be out there 300 days before I got a full roll of film.  He He!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Here is another circuit that can be used if you are using a TLC555 delay timer to trip the cam shutter.  This will turn off the timer (blocking the PIR signal)

It takes a DPDT switch (6 terminals on it) and preferably one that has a Center OFF position, like the RS 275-1545

I didn't write down the current reading and don't know how much it would shorten battery life, I don't think it would be Too Bad tho.....

Stever

Reaction score
I was thinking of a day night sensor as well, for those day time turkeys but since I started thinking and you guys forced me into this habit LOL. Hmmmm what would be walking by at night. I will wait on the day night sensor for now.

gizz

Reaction score
I'm using one on my videocam to control the light. I didn't want the big spotlight to turn on during the day cause it's a battery hog. Tinhorn helped me with the setup which is similar to the one he posted here. Works Great!

(Edited by gizz at 7:14 pm on Jan. 9, 2002)

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
Todd, I am using the RS sensor, With this design it should not matter. I use an Normally closed relay in the shutter trigger circuit and the dark sensing design. This way I only power up the circuit when I want to take only day time pics (saves batt). When the circuit senses dark it opens the circuit to the shutter, disabling the cam. I activate the same N/C relay with my timer to disable the cam.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom