Utah elk hunt 2018

dustin ray

Reaction score
This years Utah elk hunt was awesome even if no elk where not harmed we only had 2 1/2 days to get it done and after getting to our camp spot late due to a snow storm closing the road. Our first two days where blue sky fresh snow on the ground temps where below zero in the morning and highs around 15 deg . After none stop glassing and searching for tracks in the snow we found elk on the last night we found a herd of elk we decided to come back in the morning that morning we woke up to 6" of fresh snow and the wind was blowing hard we drove the 20 miles in the Ranger freezing our balls off we got to the spot at day break and glassed up the heard and we decided to walk in from there about 2 miles hike on the hike in the snow and wind picked up we where only able to get within 400 yards my son and i both shot at the same time and we both missed not enough windage compasating. Even though we didn't fill our tags it was still an awsome hunt just wish we had more time to hunt.
Im aways coming back to late season hunts because there so challenging and theres always some obstacle in your way kicking your ass i have found that hiking in cold temps is tough its vary hard to regulate you core body temps and to have enough cloths to stay warm but then you over heat and sweet to much.
No dead animal pics just snow and sunsets
Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 7.20.48 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 7.21.28 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 7.23.48 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-01-04 at 7.22.36 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Plain ol' Steve

Reaction score
Beautiful winter pics. Hunted Utah once before in the winter and really enjoyed it. It never seemed quite as cold as the thermometer read. I think the dry air makes it more bearable.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like a great trip to me. It's been years since I've done one of those late season hunts in Utah, geez they were a blast.

P304X4

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you missed your elk but it sounds like it was an awesome trip.....great pics, thanks for sharing!!

dustin ray

Reaction score
Beautiful winter pics. Hunted Utah once before in the winter and really enjoyed it. It never seemed quite as cold as the thermometer read. I think the dry air makes it more bearable.
Yes your right about the dry air and then the wind blows and changes every thing

nickman123

Reaction score
Awesome pics. Didn't know Utah had a hunt so late. Do they have a season this late every year or was it something special?

dustin ray

Reaction score
Awesome pics. Didn't know Utah had a hunt so late. Do they have a season this late every year or was it something special?
this unit has an oct hunt and jan hunt i should said cow elk hunt

Plain ol' Steve

Reaction score
Yes your right about the dry air and then the wind blows and changes every thing
Yeah, I can only imagine. Much to the dismay of my hunting partner I wore a scarf on our December cow hunt. It didn't look very macho but it sure helped retain heat especially on the one afternoon with wind and blizzard conditions.

Aught-SixGuy

Reaction score
Dang! Sucks you didn't tag out but looks like you had fun anyway.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
At first look I thought Desert white sand of salten sea, and then Ding ding its snow. Looks like you could Glass form here till tomorrow.
Beautifull Pictures Thank you

dustin ray

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 9.20.42 AM.jpg

Dang and that's a good hunt too. Hamblin Valley is a good spot, also near Indian Peaks. A little late now but something for next time!
Thanks And Yes on Indian peak the elk have moved down into the chained areas heres a pic of Indian peak with the chained area at the bottom of the mountain

Aught-SixGuy

Reaction score
View attachment 91979

Thanks And Yes on Indian peak the elk have moved down into the chained areas heres a pic of Indian peak with the chained area at the bottom of the mountain
Nice! That's one of my favorite arrowhead hunting places too. Plenty of elk out there but they can disappear into them junipers like nothing was ever there.

dustin ray

Reaction score
Arrowheads that would be a nice find.
The area is vary interesting a lot of history with mining native Indians and how the land is managed for wildlife the pinion juniper trees have over taken the area that destroy the feed growth great effort fas been taken to remove the onion juniper trees by burning and Chaining and replant along with improving water.
There is a ton of wild horses in the area to many i think and they can be vary aggreseve i had a stallion charge at me he came within 100' before he desided to back down
here are some articles on chaining and land, wildlife management done in the area

https://wildlife.utah.gov/range/pdf/wmu20/20intro-sum.pdf
http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/PressRoom/NewsReleases/RMEFGrantstoImproveUtahElkHabitat.aspx
https://www.utahrmef.com/utah-news.html

Top Bottom