Utah Premium Deer Tag drawn!!!

wmidbrook

Reaction score

I had 6 points going into the draw and finally drew a good tag!! It took 6 points last year....there are a couple bucks pictured the last year from this CWMU in MuleyCrazy. Utah residents can put in for drawing CWMU tags in addition to the public land hunts...there are some real good CWMUs. My taxidermist here in Utah is on the CWMU committee and rates the Henry's first followed by 5 CWMUs then back to public hunts....so, good deer to be had still on private here in Utah. I was pretty sure when I talked to the operator that I had a good chance 'cause there was only one other party with more points (7) that were talking to him....

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Congrats!
Look forward to your hunt report this fall.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Thanks!! I'm really pumped. I called Ryan Hatch and talked to him about 30 minutes--great guy. He says there's potential for a nice buck. They've taken some nice ones...I hope I'm one of the lucky ones.

Also talked to a guy who hunted it and didn't get it figured out until the last 2 days of his hunt....he ran into one of the property owners who said, "why aren't you hunting where all the deer are?" ....so, you have to be careful of where the operators want to send you. It's kind of like PLM programs being forced to give 5-10% of their tags through the public draw....are they going to give their public hunters the best area or guided hunters??? But, they legally can/t relegate you to just part of their CWMU....so, I got the good lo down on where to hunt on the 17,000 acres now.

bucknut

Reaction score
Congrats wmidbrook! Now get ready for the longest 6 months of your life!
Do they allow you to scout a week or two prior to your hunt?

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Actually, yes....the operator wants to show me around in September when the CWMU season starts....but, it's a migrational hunt. I may see a few resident deer but usually there are hundreds of deer that move onto the property in October...some pass on through on down lower and into AZ and some winter in UT.

foulshot

Reaction score
Congrats on the draw!

Are you setting your sights on any number??

MULIES4EVER

Reaction score
You will do fine Bill. I will hold the camera if you want. I am glad we both drew great limited entry tags this year. Its gonna be a blast.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Are you setting your sights on any number??[/b]
I think I could get a 175" or better buck out of it with a little luck and a week to hunt. I did get some good intel on how to hunt it and almost every year there is a 200" buck shot there....usually 12-14 tags for this 17,000 acre unit are allocated. So, if you do the math it's not like there's a 200" buck with a nose ring tied to a juniper for me....

I will hold the camera if you want.[/b]
...that could be some serious fun. Maybe Connie would draw the unit in a year or two.

.257magman

Reaction score
its an CWMU unit right? I only mention it because you say the deer from The Paunsaugunt migrate into it?
That sounds like the strip! what the name is it Alton (which got a bad rap because of those bucks inside the fence and that hunter gun jammed and the the operator give him his gun only after they close the gate and trapped them inside and all caught on tape about 3 or 4years ago!).
Ryan is cool some gave him abit of grief because of the do do he done and that Dan S..... (from here in the south bay) incident and a few other accusations.
have fun!! post pictures!
.257magman

wmidbrook

Reaction score
its an CWMU unit right?[/b]
It is a CWMU and it's not Alton. But, it does get *some*, *not many* Paunsagaunt deer migrating into it. It may be better than Alton in volume, but not quality. I don't want to boost demand for it but there are enough clues if anyone were to do a little (very little) digging. There are a lot of good CWMU's in the state of UTAH. There are 5 or 6 exceptional CWMUs...and mine is not in one of those 5 or 6....but, it's towards the top of the other list.

Top Bottom