uuuuggggghhhh

swampfox

Reaction score
well i bragged about how cheap i scored a couple cams and it bit me like a snake. the round switch af ,didnt want to take the solder on the round contacts,and i finally burnt it up. the pf was easier and accepted solder pretty strong right away. oh well i have a parts cam now!has anyone found this to be a problem on the af models?

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
swampfox, Sorry to here that.What kind of solder are you using? I use Rosin core solder on the AF's and it does fine.You shouldn't have to hold your soldering pencil on it but a second or two if you are using a 20w iron. When you say you burnt it up,how bad? It still might be able to be fixed.

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 1:45 pm on Mar. 1, 2002)

swampfox

Reaction score
using rosin core solder.would not stick to the contacts so i tried the pins and thats where it got nasty. burnt all the pins off trying to get it to stick without fusing them all together.....ow well.gotta be more careful next time,you live and learn

coyotebandit

Reaction score
When doing detailed work like this, I always use the smallest tip on my iron. With most irons, you can buy a smaller tip to change to when your doing fine soldering. I also use smaller diameter solder, it keeps things from getting too messy. I worked in an electronics assembly plant for 3 years doing soldering every day, of course we had $600 irons. I still mess up sometimes with my $20 RS special, so don't feel bad, most soldering damage can be repaired. If you have a multimeter, 30 gauge wire, and a very steady hand you can probably trace the pins back and do a wire mod.

upnorthunter

Inactive
Reaction score
also, if you are going to do any amount of this type of work, you might want to get a variable heat soldering iron.  It is more money, but it is well worth it in my mind.

Advertisement

Top Bottom