Varmint squeaker for game camera use.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Pete H. sent me this link for a small battery operated squeaker which may work great to entice varmints in front of your cameras. Even has a timer.

http://www.wasatchwild.com/teaser.html

Course, I'm sure someone here will figure out how to make one for a better price right?

coyote

Reaction score
Heh well I'll start building one right now....a beer can should make a suitable housing....better get two might screw up the first one...heh heh...yoteee'

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
im afraid that will take some tyme right coyote...lol  

davered1

Reaction score
I have a different version called "the squeaker",It runs off a 6V lantern battery.

Have it out trying for lynx pics right now

:>)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I'd be interested in building/having one of these.

I'd be neat to have a Cam Watch over one all night.....

What noise should they make?  Anybody have any ideas on where to start?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tinhorn

Gun Docc

Reaction score
well i guess we better get busy working on a few ideas as this would work good for all kinds of predator pic's

i used to do a lot of trapping and used something similar to trap fox and bobcats, worked pretty good too

now with a camera taking pic's of the critters coming in to the sounds , you could get some pretty neat pic's

Later,

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
Somebody just buy one and tear into it, no bigger than it is there cant be much to it.
Maybe we could all pitch in a buck and let one the electronic guru's disect it...........

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Gun Docc,

Do you mean you flagged them in with a feather or something or was it an audio device like this squeaker ?

Thanx

Tinhorn

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Tinhorn,

it was an electronic squeaker but was a lot bigger and run off of a 6 volt lantern battery .

it was actually owned by my uncle and he found it somewhere out of a trapping magazine way back in the 80's

it kinda made a squeak about like the sound of a mouse and you could make your trapset nearby to catch whatever came in to the sound.

usually we made a hole setup with it and had some fairly good results catching foxes

Later,

davered1

Reaction score
Gunn Docc,

I have this one it runs off a 6V lantern battery.We aren't allowed to trap with them here so I haven't but would like to try it.

Is yours bigger,this is actual size. It has been around a few times

Gun Docc

Reaction score
davered1,

the one we used was close to what your pic shows
as they look similar but did not have the squeaker logo written on it

Later,

Curtiss

Reaction score
Hey Tinhorn,
   How about a tape recorder with a sound of your choosing: maybe like this. Ha!!!!!!!  (This is sound only.)

(Edited by Curtiss at 2:28 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
ha ha,  ha ha

Well, that's bound to call something, LOL - -  -  Hope I don't think of that call next time I'm on a ladder, could make-a-person fall off laughin so much ! ! !   - Ouch -

Actually   didn't (don't) some Anwsering  Machines have an End-Less tape that could be used?

Tinhorn

coyote

Reaction score
Look into battery powered kid toys....
God knows I'd like to tear the guts outa them after christmas fun wears off!! crash..bang ...squeak you name it...yoteee.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Arch and I have been discussing the game squeaker and come up with this little baby.  It's no fun to just buy one but when you add up all the parts, it's the same cost as the store bought unit Jesse Posted.  Oops!

Arch found a few Digital Recording items at RS that held promise.  One is a "Key Ring" that you can record messages on (like where you left the car) and the other was a Recording Module, either for $10

I purchased the Recording Module which is a speaker and PC board that can record a 20 second message and built a squeaker (see the Link)

This thing don't have a very loud sound and the recording volume has to be LOUD but I think it's ok.  If the sound is too loud, the predator mite stand way back and stare at it, out of the cameras range.  I could easily hear it at 30 yards so an animal with sharper hearing can beat that.

I made up the housing out of 1 - 1/2" PVC pipe &  fittings and the overall length is only 6" or so.  Be sure to wrap the battery & Recorder with tape to insulate it from each other from shorts and cut off the record button.  I found out the hard way that if it's accidentally pressed by the battery inside the case, it erases the message.

I built an "Astable" timer to turn on the unit every 15 minutes (it ran 2 nites on a 9v batt and the batt charge still tests full) but Arch thought it could be triggered by the Refresh Pulse off your camera if it has one.  You would have to run a wire over to the Squeaker and use an NPN transistor as a switch to activate the recorder, similiar to what's shown on the drawing (link below)  It wouldn't need that 15 minute timer then.

I only had it out 2 nites and got the Coon's pix
(below)  the wite thing in the pix is the unit.  Altho the Coon could have been just jogging by, I think he actually was attracted to the squeal because you can see he has a big grin on his face after he seen what it was.....

http://www.nightowl.net/~tinhorn/Squeaker.jpg

http://www.nightowl.net/~tinhorn/Coon.jpg

Tinhorn

gizz

Reaction score
I went ahead and bought one of these from wasatch wildlife. It's makes sounds like when your tuning an AM radio but can't quite get there. 3 knobs allow you to adjust the speed, pitch, loudness, etc of the sound. I hope to be able to get a cam out with this thing nearby and see what happens.

bat

Reaction score
hmmmmm I wonder how that would do inside one of those Ceramic Rabbits all painted up like the real thing!!!!..hehe bet an ole Coyote would be surprised surprised when he jumps on that bad boy.

(Edited by bat at 11:10 pm on Feb. 21, 2002)

(Edited by bat at 11:18 pm on Feb. 21, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi all,
Since Tinhorn is already experimenting with the RS #276-1323 digital sound recorder, I figured I’d try a different model.  I bought the 15US$ RS #63-954 voice memo keychain with timer thinking that I could ‘hack’ the built-in timer to make the thing trigger itself - no luck with the timer, so a cheaper model would be the RS #63-953 for 12US$.
Also, with the 63-953 you don’t have to worry about the LCD freezing up.

Here’s what I’ve found so far with the 63-954:
*Sound quality is not that great - but good enough for this purpose.
*Volume is surprisingly loud for the tiny speaker size.  Adjust volume by changing the volume of the sound while recording.
*Circuit operates on a 6 volt supply, so 4x “AAA”  batts could be substituted in place of the costly lithium button cells the thing is supplied with.  The circuit *might* tolerate a 9 volt supply, but I HAVE NOT tried it yet.
*Power consumption while playing is ~40mA   While idle, I measured zero current - must use some power gating scheme.
*Using supplied battery type and playing 5 seconds of sound every 20 minutes, batt life should be ~48 days (calculated).  This does not include power consumed by a timing circuit which will be needed to trigger the circuit.  Using 4x “AAA” batts, life should be about 290 days!
*Circuit is triggered by a simple contact.  The screwed-on metal part is the more ‘positive’ side.  The contact on the PCB is 0 volts (ground).  Triggering the circuit can be done with a relay, opto-isolator, bipolar or MOS transistor.
*Size is ~1.5” x 3”
*Operating temp range - unspecified.  Probably around +20 to +140F

The only real advantages are the zero idle power consumption and the fact that the circuit is in a case, so no need to worry about insulating it.

I’m going to adapt the thing to 4x “AAA” batts and toss it into a PVC housing like Tinhorn did with his.  I’ll keep everyone posted about results (if any!)

I recorded a sound clip of a quail in distress into the circuit - it actually sounds pretty good!  Maybe get some owl pics... now that would be COOL!

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Arch,  Good Report !

I had my squeaker out from Fri PM till Mon AM and the 9v batt is still good.  I changed my recording to a woodpecker in distress (afraid the predators were wise to my lip squeaking from last w/e)  

As I gathered up the Camera, the thing cycled on, sounded pretty good.  It was hanging in a tree in front of the camera about 15 feet and it had bird poop on it;  I guess a Blue Jay showed me what he thought of it.

There were a lot of pix's taken, am anxious to get the roll developed but we had terrible winds all w/e so know a lot were false alarms......

I need some of your expertise on Birds:  Owls in particular
What kind of setup do we need for a picture, a bird flying by ain't going to cut it !

Think we can set the unit up near a low, dead snag, one that the camera can be close too?  Would the Owl (or hawk) land on the snag to look for the creature it hears?

Thanx

Tinhorn

Advertisement

Top Bottom