Varmint Virgin

David

Reaction score
Now that quail season is almost over, I've got this serious cravin to find something else to hunt.  And between all the coyotes and bobcats I ran into during the bird season and this varmint forum I've got to give it a try.  The problem is I don't have any rifles (not opposed to purchasing one) just need  some help with the selection.  Also what about the calls (mouth or electric).  Sorry to be such a novice but you guys got me all excited.  Oh by the way Songdog, thanks for the quail spots up off Templin.  

songdog

Reaction score
Glad to help.  Your best bet is probably to read some of the older posts here and go to the Arrowhead hunt and pick everyone's brain around the campfire.  I'm sure there will be some truth mixed in with all the wild stories that will be told.

stickchucker

Reaction score
That shot gun you use for quail will work great for coyotes and bobcats. I would use #4 buck. As for  calls I owen both and find myself using the mouth call the most plus it's affordable. Be sure to check with the Fish and Game for regulations on electric calls and seasons for bobcats in your area.  Good luck and keep with it.

(Edited by stickchucker at 10:12 pm on Jan. 15, 2002)

nobuckkev

Reaction score
I picked up on a 22-250 a few years back from a pawn shop for $250 and have loved it. I don't have the calling experience that Songdog and his boys do , but I have shot a couple of stray coyotes with it and it does a great job at dropping them with little pelt damage. Not much kick to it either for a gun that can drop a yote at 300 plus yards depending on your skills. I would love to make one of the upcoming hunts out here and learn it all. I'll make it soon. Just keep having them boys!

joatmon

Reaction score
Hi David,
    I didn't catch where you're from but if you have woods where you'll be callin you'll do ok with the shot gun. If you hunt mostly fields a rifle in any of the 22 center fire will be good, as well as others.  For the calls go with the mouth calls to start. You can get them with an instruction tape. Then you have to make sure where you're callin is where thier at. Sounds like you got that covered though. Movement is what they see so move very little and move slow when you have to. Like most animals watch your scent. Don't give up. It's worth it you'll see.
 I have to warn you the first one you call in will hook you!!!!
Bob

Dakota

Reaction score
If you are hunting areas without a lot of pressure you will do fine with a shotgun.  I have yet to use a rifle.  I use 3 inch 00 buck, it does the job well.  A 22 centerfire is the ticket for more rangey hunting, I prefer the 22-250.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
David, the mini 14 with high capacity clip is best.  I use pmc 55gr hollow point bullets.  A steward closed varmint call is fine, however great results can be had with just a mouse squeeker (is for coyotes).  Looks like a small green bulb.  Good luck!

Hook

Reaction score
Frank, Welcome to Jesses. Always glad to see new faces, uh names. This is the best place to hang out on the web.
Be careful you might get addicted like the rest of us.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thanks Hook.  Sure appears like the best spot on the web and think I'm already addicted, especially with quail & coyotes being my obsession.  Good Hunting !

Hook

Reaction score
Frank,

If you are interested in going to the Wister hunt, check out the post titled "JHP Wister coyote hunt"

(Edited by Hook at 9:02 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thanks, Hook. I just checked out the Wister site and your map and looks good indeed. Will save for file as my next coyote hunt is end of Feb in the Carrizo Plains off Soda Lake Rd.

Hopefully I will have something good to report?!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom