Velvet still!!!!!!!!!!!&#3

mhbaseballpb

Reaction score
If bucks still have velvet on as of the 13th of August does that mean they are healthier then those bucks who lose their velvet earlier. I got at least 2 bucks on camera and their might be 3 and they all have are at least 8 pointers, young, and with big bodies. My scanner is broke or else I would put the 10 pics on here. One of them is huge.

hardertr

Reaction score
Alot depends on the weather and it's affects on the deers diet. We've had an unusually wet, mild summer this year. Our deer are still in velvet. Some still have the rounded tips which indicate they are still growing.

The longer their in velvet, the bigger their rack should be (as long as they are eating well).

pocomoke

Reaction score
Not sure what your location is but most deer still have their velvet on.You will find a few losing theirs towards the end of august but august 13 I would expect the deer to still be in velvet and as was mentioned some of the tips my still be growing but most of the other antler parts will be getting hard and then the velvet will start peeling soon...

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Velvet coming off a Deers rack is triggered by Shortened daylight conditions. As the days become shorter this is recorded thru a Deers eye and triggers a gland within a Buck to start developing Higher Testosterone levels and make ready for the rut. when this happens it triggers the bone to harden and the velvet to shed and make ready for fighting and setting dominance within the herd.

weather has no bearing whatsover on this its dictated by shortened light durations alone, according to all studies I have read and followed. studies have been conducted with deer growing and shedding several sets of horns in a years time. when light conditions were controlled in there enviroment, up t 3 x a year deer have been studied in clinical tests to grow, and shed there horns. Deer reloacted from one area to another adapt to this condition and light scenerios very rapidly as well.

It's not uncommon to rite about now start hearing of A FEW deer here or there shedding velvet, but as Pocomoke pointed out late august into early september is when it really gets under way...

Dan

pocomoke

Reaction score
Good explanation Dan.I think it is called photoperiodism-Shortning of the days...

bowhtr1

Reaction score
I guess the fact that not all the deer in the area shed at the same time may have to do with the difference in each deers testosterone level increase. I see some in late August with hard antlers and then some in mid Sep in velvet on the same property. I do know by Oct first I will be after one of them.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom