Venison Jerky in Smoker

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
I recently purchased an electric smoker and I'm considering making venison jerky in it. Does any one have any experience, tips, or recipes for making jerky in a smoker?

Thanks in advance!

ltdann

Reaction score
Here's my favorite recipe for jerky.

Slice meat no thicker than 1/8 inch.

Mix equal parts soy sauce and teriyaki sauce, just enough to cover the meat. 1 TB of ground black pepper, 1TB crushed garlic, 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 bottle hickory liquid smoke. Soak in gallon zip lock bags overnight.

place in smoker at 155 degrees with vent fully open. Jerky is dehydrated, not cooked so it'll take many hours. You'll know its right if you can hold it up to the light and it's a translucent red color.

I usually us a dehydrator rather than a smoker.

HOGS&BUCKS

Reaction score
Just did about 10lbs of venison two weekends ago on a couple Traeger smokers. We used the Bass Pro marinades and just followed the directions. The biggest advice i would give is to slice the meat while its still mostly frozen, and slice into about 1/4" thick. We smoked the jerky for 4-5 hours on the Traegers, and the jerky came out amazing...one of the best Jerky's I have ever had. Also, make sure you cut off most of the fat and all of the silver skin.View attachment 88006View attachment 88007View attachment 88008

solus

Reaction score
Just did about 10lbs of venison two weekends ago on a couple Traeger smokers. We used the Bass Pro marinades and just followed the directions. The biggest advice i would give is to slice the meat while its still mostly frozen, and slice into about 1/4" thick. We smoked the jerky for 4-5 hours on the Traegers, and the jerky came out amazing...one of the best Jerky's I have ever had. Also, make sure you cut off most of the fat and all of the silver skin.View attachment 88006View attachment 88007View attachment 88008
Looks good

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
I bought Hi Mountain jerky cute and seasoning. Online electric smoker recipes are all over the map. Many I question safety. The one I'm thinking of using a calls for "Dry and place in pre-heated smoker at 140 degrees. Smoke for 12 to 16 hours." 140 seems low, but the time is long. Im also wondering what the best wood chips would be when using Hi Mountain original recipe? Thanks in advance!

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I agree with ltdann's recipe minus the garlic and a little less liquid smoke. You either like garlic on your smoked meats or you don't and we don't. Been doing jerky that way for years.

As far as wood for your smoker I like apple wood for everything. I only use the smoker occasionally most of the time I just use the dehydrator on high.

Top Bottom