Verify your target

Common Sense

Reaction score
What a terrible thing to happen. Can't imagine what I would do if it had been me, probably would have used my big toe to pull the trigger with the barrel in my mouth.

DanV

Reaction score
Very sad story , can't help feeling sympathy for the victum and his family . That aside , the Father is a dumb arse and he's got a very bad " hunting memory " to live with !

upper

Reaction score
Dan ,yes you are right,I was posting when I thought Prayer is what is needed.The father should never carry again as he is not worthy.Should never should be can't ever.....Upper

Drayton

Reaction score
This is very sad. True the father is a dumbarse. Some people just can't keep simple gun safety and hunting rules and this is what happens.

I like guns and hunting and I love to take people who have not had the oppertunity to enjoy guns out to the range and introduce them to the great sport of shooting. More than a "gun nut" I've become a "gun safety nut." All it takes is one carless moment and accedents happen.

Sorry for the rant. Things like this make me sic.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
This is so sad and so stupid.

It makes me angry when I see entirely needless tragedies like this. That's why hunting safety instructors work so hard to teach the rules of gun safety to your students. One of the first rules is don't shoot unless you're entirely sure of your target. Really, how hard is that to remember and follow?

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Mistook him for a turkey???? How in the hell does a 9 year old kid look like a turkey? Shot him square in the chest? A 9 year old's chest looks like a turkey??? I'm sorry for the family, but the father... DAMN this makes me mad.

D3Lifer

Reaction score
He violated one of the first and foremost rules in the field, and now he has to look himself in the mirror everyday knowing that he killed his own child. The ultimate worst case scenario, and a huge lesson for anyone who hunts.

barel74

Reaction score
terrible tragedy.

This is why you don't shoot moving brush, scope other hunters, or shoot at movement in general. Some posts on other topics makes me hope that some people on this site, learn from the tragedy

foulshot

Reaction score
Truly sad! I saw the blurb on the news last night. They had a quick shot of the father explaining the situation to the local LEO, he looked frantic. How do you look your wife in the face and explain that?

My question, why is the boy not at his fathers side?

S&P

Reaction score
Reading that just made me sick to my stomach. We put as much emphasis on verifying the target as we do on muzzle control in the hunter's ed classes that I teach.

A few years ago here, a grandfather shot his granddaughter in the head because he mistook her pony tail for a squirrel sitting on the side of a tree. Too many of this type of accidents happen and could be completely prevented if people would just slow down and make sure of what they are shooting at.

So terribly sad.

Advertisement

Top Bottom