very low power motion detector

apittet

Reaction score
Hello there,

Most of you in the US seem to have latched on to either the MS-20 or the RS 49-425 motion detectors. Now that the RS seems to be going out of market we are left mostly with the MS-20 and its low power mods.

I do not have the good luck to find such units here in India, but I bought the remaining stock of 10 Taiwan made wireless motion detectors from house security systems during a trip in Switzerland last year for approx. U$ 11 a piece. Even though the wireless part is of no use right now, their main advantage is a very low idle current (as low as 30 microAmps) as these units work out of a 9V battery that is expected to last a year or so. Tapping the triggering signal was just too easy as the 5 V DC supply to the encoder and RF emitter is controlled by the output of PIR conditioning circuit. A simple transistor can be driven from that point to trigger the cam.

For info I have uploaded a few pictures of this unit here

This model has also gone out of market by now, but I am sure that similar units must be available with all agencies dealing in security systems. And if they are running from battery, they have to be very energy efficient, using very low power opamps and also low current voltage regulators; so, no mods required. Did anyone of you identify or work with such units? Any pointer?

Andre

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Andre,
That is low power!  Most commecial units seem to be power hogs.  My home-made sensors run at about 35 to 40 uA at 'idle'.  I'll have to look into products similar to what you found.  Any brand / manufacturer names on the PC board??

Archilochus

apittet

Reaction score
Hello Arch,

The product was sold in Switzerland under the name of Eurotec, but that was just a gimmick as there is no trace of such company dealing in such products. A more careful check on the box and a bit of detective work led me to the manufacturer, Aeronstar in Taiwan. The model was  7000P, but they do not manufacture it anymore. From my email exchanges with them, they have a new model IR-02 at about U$ 15, but they do not seem to have come at all with their products to US. Moreover, they are just manufacturers and not distributors. I am yet to procure one of those. They were very keen to modify it to my need, if I could ensure orders of a 1000 pieces per annum :laffin-yellow:

In one of their mail they wrote:

We are developing a product what we call "Capture" which is a CMOS digital camera inbuilt with PIR detector. This device ill automatically take 3 pictures each time the PIR is activated. It can stores up to 100 images in the memory IC just like the regular digital camera that can be down load via USB to see picture through a PC.

I did not follow up and do not know where they are in this development.

On the tech side, their 7000P detector use Heimann LHi 958, very low power CMOS quad opAmp TS27L4CN, quad NAND Schmidt Triggers  HCF4093 and low power 5 V voltage regulator Holtek HT1050. Remaining is for the RF section, including address encoder and gets supply only after movement is detected.

I am sure that there must be similar products with home security agencies in North America. Let me know if you come across somthing interesting.

Cheers

Andre

Latest Posts

Top Bottom