Very memorable day of duck hunting!

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
This trip started off with a invite on a number 1 res. card at Kern with a person I've spoke with several times but never met, huntducks/Greg.  Greg was nice enough to invite me and my buddy Whitey1 to hunt Kern today.  Since Bloodsports was there weds in the spaceblinds we decided to put some more JHP knukleheads in there today.

The day started off with us getting a little lost heading to the blind but we still managed to get set up in time.  

As we're setting out dekes there was definitely some volume of birds around us which made us very confident that we had chose a spot with possibilties.  We get the dekes out and huntducks is starting to feel under the weather but says we're staying so go get'm.  The birds are showing but are very decoy shy so some minors adjustments were made to get us in the zone.  About 8 am the swith is turned on and here we go, the teal are like knats, we take one drake Cinnamon and leave the rest alone, next come the Widgeon, mallards, Sprigs and Gadwall.  We pick up 2 Widgeons and 3 mallards very early when another drake mallard dives in on me, I swing up at the bird and the bird flies right into the shot and down he comes into the small pond.  I cruise out there to pick him up and guess what, MY FIRST DUCK WITH A BAND in 20 plus years of hunting,  I'm a happy dude and ready to go home.

Needless to say we stayed and finished off a great day with birds working for the next four hours, we passed on marginal shots over thick cover and all hens.

Greg was sidelined with his sickness and managed to get enough energy to muster up a teal and a gaddy.  The other person in our group Jeff managed a handful of ducks as well but the birds seemed to come to Whitey1 and myself like a magnet.

Here are some pics of the birds taken by Whitey1 and myself, all drakes:

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=11006

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=11008

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=11007

Greg thanks a million!

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Nice going, Marsh Brother.  With a strap of mallards like that, it must have felt like you were hunting in Washington!  Glad it worked out for you guys.  

Later.

Drew10

Reaction score
nice ducks so which blind where you huning out of. My friend has the junior hunt coming up and has a low ressie there. were u the only blind that did well or was the refuge doin well?? any info would be cool

huntducks

Reaction score
Kid & Whitey

The pleasure was all mine, and I did rub that band  just maybe after 46yrs i'll get my first banned duck next year.

I just wish I could have fired more then two rounds,but spewing from both ends there was a real problem going on, thank goodness for a pair of waders and four soft gun cases and a dry road it made for a great bed, look at it this way you did not have to make that walk back to the truck for ammo I had 23 unused that I donated to the cause.

Lets give a little credit to Ginger I was not out there but I hope she did help.

Once again the pleasure was all mine will do this again, and I will NEVER eat at McDonalds in Buttonwillo.

huntducks the ammo BARER

Whitey1

Reaction score
Greg
Thanks again and oh yes Ginger was a very big help on that tuff Mallard recovery we had. Next time KID and I will bring our own Labs.
Whitey

Chris

Reaction score
Congratulations guys.  It sure is nice to see a heavy strap like that.  Good to know someone somewhere is having a good hunt.  I was starting to get worried about the duck population in general.  I live in coastal north San Diego county near a number of lagoons that are usually full of ducks by this point in the season, but they're empty...have been all season.  Maybe the birds are just hung-up north of here.

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Chris:  I have a wash near my house that is also usually loaded with ducks, and it's been empty this year as well -- until last week.  The divers and mallards showed-up in force.  Maybe the last week will be the one to remember.

Greg:  Just spoke with Stef.  He said your dog did a great job for them!  Next time you'll have to do a little shooting out of the end of your shotgun!  Sounds like the other "end" had had a workout.

huntducks

Reaction score
Triggerfinger

Man if I would have been duck hunting with the other end I would have made several trips back for ammo.

What amazes me is how I could have slept out there for about 6 hours, Stef walked back in and said man you still alive, my answer was I not sure.

When I did wake several times, watching the big ducks circling was quite a sight.

Did we talk about the honker that flew over that warning shots were fired at.hehehe

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Yup:  I heard about that honker.  Surprising that he wasn't sent to heaven, but Stef didn't have his typical honker gun with him (his beloved 10-gauge)!  I wonder if that's the same bird you later saw at the end of someone else's strap....

I also heard that someone out there killed a speck.  Nice when you can go duck hunting and have a better chance of killing a goose than you do at a typical goose area (Wister) -- unless, of course, your name is d trees!

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Drew,

I have to hold off on giving out some info until next week, I'll be back at Kern on weds and don't want to give away to much info before then.  

As far as that honker, if I had been in position instead of looing for Whitey1 mallard that honker would have been laying on the tail gate as well.

D

D_Sea

Looks like you had a great day.  Congrats on the banded mallard.  I'm still looking for my first.

Greenhead

Reaction score
Perhaps the single worst meal I've ever endured was at the truck stop in Button Willow. Utter garbage. I now speed up whenever I get within 50 miles of that place.

Baldplate

Reaction score
Huntducks, sorry you were feeling under the weather and missed a good shoot. My son and I hunted a water unit and limited by 11:00 (mixed bag w/2 mallards). I agree about staying away from Micky D'S. A good place to eat in button willow is the Willow Ranch BBQ. Pretty decent Tri-tip/Rib combo dinner for about 12 or 13 bucks. Good luck to all this last week, I will be back at Kern Sat., with what I am sure will be a large crowd. If it is crowded, Mendota is only 2hrs. away!!!!!!!

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but one of those pictures looked like a swan.  I was always under the impression it was illegal to shoot swans.  If at all possible, can someone clarify this for me.....

Much Thanks guys, and thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures with me....Brings back many memories of hunting waterfowl in the great State of Minnesota.

Jay

Reaction score
Don't see no swans, but you are correct you cannot shoot swans in California. Nevada does have a tundra swan season and other great basin states may have also.  

(Edited by Jay at 1:54 pm on Jan. 16, 2002)

bandblaster

Reaction score
wow thats a great hunt if at all possible kid could you give me some info for there i have a 9 for the 19th and i havnt been there in a while maybe you could email me

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
bandblaster,

Do you have a boat?
How are you for decoys and other equipment?
Is walking a long way a issue?

bandblaster

Reaction score
no boat i dont really care about the walk and we have a lot of decs plus spinners

Advertisement

Top Bottom