Vet Faces Lawsuit For Flying American Flag

gwhunter69

Reaction score
Vet Faces Lawsuit For Flying American Flag

POSTED: 5:33 am EDT May 27, 2008
UPDATED: 10:34 am EDT May 27, 2008

CLERMONT, Fla. -- A Central Florida war veteran faces a lawsuit for flying the American flag on a pole in his front yard.

"I don't understand why it would bring down the values of our homes by flying the American flag from a pole in my front yard," homeowner Jimmie Watkins said.

LINK

bobcatman04

Reaction score
You know , I love this land and what it stands for. Although I am embarrased by it's people. Shame, shame, shame.
I weep at stories like this.

chuckslayer

Reaction score
Where is the local American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Rolling thunder......?

Perhaps it is time some backward folks in Clermont. FL were paid a visit !

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
and Where Is The ACLU, BY GOD?

I can see both sides. I fully respect his position

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"It is my right to fly my flag from my pole and until a court of law tells me to haul that down, I will not haul it down.[/b]
On the other hand, if he signed a covenant agreement when he bought his home (that usually includes stuff like minimum square footage, buried power lines , no political yard displays and other such topics), then he's bound by that agreement. I'd like to know more about this before I make an opinion.

Did he, in fact, sign an agreement that prohibits the display of the flag? Or did the association successfully vote to amend their rules and regulations to prohit the display of the flag (with or without his approval)? We need to know the basis for the association's position. His positions is clear and I admire it.

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BelchFire @ May 27 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On the other hand, if he signed a covenant agreement when he bought his home (that usually includes stuff like minimum square footage, buried power lines , no political yard displays and other such topics), then he's bound by that agreement. I'd like to know more about this before I make an opinion.

Did he, in fact, sign an agreement that prohibits the display of the flag? Or did the association successfully vote to amend their rules and regulations to prohit the display of the flag (with or without his approval)? We need to know the basis for the association's position. His positions is clear and I admire it.[/b]

You got it right again Belch!

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
If the Homeowners Association had this in their agreement, they should be sued. It's my right as an AMERICAN to show that I AM AN AMERICAN AND DAMN PROUD OF IT! This crap makes me sick.

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MULEY51 @ May 27 2008, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If the Homeowners Association had this in their agreement, they should be sued. It's my right as an AMERICAN to show that I AM AN AMERICAN AND DAMN PROUD OF IT! This crap makes me sick.[/b]

Back in the very early 50's, the developer of my subdivision put a deed restriction on all the houses(except one, who he sold to a good frind of his who was Latino) that the property could only be re-sold to a White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant person. Someone did sue; and now I can (and must, if I put it on the market) sell to anyone with the money. I am not sure that the flagpole issue violates constitutional law? If the Vet signed the agreement, I agree with Belch.

fossilman

Reaction score
Nobody will ever tell me not to fly my American flag!! NEVER!!!

swampy tim

Reaction score
If those conditiones exsisted ( no American flags ) in the covenant of a development then I wouldn't be buying in that neighborhood. If they changed the rules after I bought in then I would be fileing a law suit aginst the assosiation for breach of contract. Come to think of it the likleyhood of me living in any kind of planed community is pretty unlikely...But this story is a good reminder to always have a lawyer reveiw the transaction before you sign. S/T

chuckslayer

Reaction score
There may be a point in the "small print' details of the contract..which is exactly why I would never get into one of those "covenant" type
housing arrangements..
Shucks; I have struggle enough, doing my best to live up to the Biblical New Covenant ! ..LOL

Marty

Reaction score
Don't know about FL, but in CA (amazingly) it is against state law to prohibit the display of the American flag. CC&R's or not.

gwhunter69

Reaction score
Retired Navy man wants the right to fly his American flags
Neighborhood Association says its rules prohibit flag poles being displayed in front yards

Roxanne Brown
Staff Writer

CLERMONT - Jimmie Watkins, a retired chief petty officer with the U.S. Navy, believes in his right to fly the American flag on a proper pole in his front yard in the community of King's Ridge.

Watkins also flies a First Navy Jack flag, honoring the U.S.S. Independence as the oldest ship in the Navy when Watkins served aboard her from 1977-78.

Another More Detailed Story

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
I'm always amazed by people who live in HOA's and then bitch and moan about the rules they've agreed to.

And I find it ironic when they sign away certain freedoms when they buy, try to fly the symbol of freedom in their front yard, and cry when they can't.

Not very advanced thinking in some people.

gwhunter69

Reaction score
Partially accurate...HOA's can pass rules whenever they feel like it. So, you do not necessary agree with the rules beforehand. But, I get your point. I personally have ran up against a terrible HOA that tried to keep me from buying a condo because the President wanted to purchase it himself. I threatened legal action and he told me point blank, "HOA's cannot be sued." I checked and he was right. That was a few years ago, so things may have changed. So, I will NEVER live somewhere with an HOA...

chuckslayer

Reaction score
We don't know the total circumstances, butwe do know this veteran wants to fly his flag. Apparently the only document the HOA has
come up with is an "unsigned" one from 2004, so I suppose it will have to be worked out if it is a legal document ! Those who
condemn him for complaining about a document that he "agreed to" may be just a bit premature in their condemnation..
In any case it may be a moot point, if Gov Christ signs the bill now before him.

The only quizzical part as I see it is, who is so dead that they complain about Old glory being displayed ?

As I related before, I would in no way consider living in a "freedom restricted" community !

The small, rural community I live in habitually vote down any zoning law attempts..folks that live here are overwhelmingly conservative,
Christian, patriotic, multi-generational Americans with a disproportionately large number of it's young adults serving in the military.
Fans of the 1st vand 2nd amendments, they know and appreciate what freedom is and the price that has been paid for it, and will not
give it up without a fight !

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Who's condemning just him? HOA's are what they are. For every patriotic vet who wants to fly the flag in front of their house, there's a regular joe who wants to park a boat or motorhome in the driveway. Or have a cow mailbox. Or paint their place something other than beige. They signed up for what they got. I don't feel sorry for a one of them...

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
We don't have any HOA here but there is one neighbor who flies his flag 24/7 on a pole in the front yard with it unlit. Someone musta pointed out it needs to be lit cuz he put a small azz spot on it from the front of the garage, that didn't help at all. I just don't have the nerve to tell him it's wrong yet. I don't think he is a vet either, most should know that were in the service.

Just say no to cow mailboxes, they cheapen the neighborhood.

Top Bottom