• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Video Editing Software

kmitch

Let's resurect this one again. I'm looking for recommendations on video editing software. My video cam is relatively new and records in Digital 8 format. I don't expect to be a power user. I would like to be able to do some play backs in slow motion and organize some of my hunting videos.

Pinnacle comes up frequently for this application, however, the reviews on CNET would lead you to believe it is unstable. I don't need something that continually crashes.

Any recommendations

TIA

Keith

3shot

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kmitch @ Feb 22 2006, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Let's resurect this one again. I'm looking for recommendations on video editing software. My video cam is relatively new and records in Digital 8 format. I don't expect to be a power user. I would like to be able to do some play backs in slow motion and organize some of my hunting videos.

Pinnacle comes up frequently for this application, however, the reviews on CNET would lead you to believe it is unstable. I don't need something that continually crashes.

Any recommendations

TIA

Keith[/b]

As I mentioned in the (original) thread dealing with this same subject... Final Cut Pro5 is (hands down) the best video editing software a consumer can buy. Why??? Because you can go down to your local computer store and buy the bundle, which includes FCP, Motion, and DVD Studio Pro. In fact, this is the same software I use as a professional editor!! And it is easily assessable to the consumer. Very scary! You can edit your video, create unbelievable motion effects, and create a professional DVD with chapters and menus.... Seamlessly. Just a note... you must have a MAC to run the software. It is not supported by a PC.

Another scary thing is that this bundle cost around $1,000.00. Ten years ago, it would cost close to a million dollars to build a professional edit bay to do what FCP can do today... in your own bedroom!!

As for as hard drive space... you get about 5-6 minutes of video per gig... at DV quility. When I edit with the high end capture card, I get 1min per gig. When I have 40hrs of video to digitize, you can see I need a lot of hard drive space!!!!

300magman

I could like to add Sony Vegas to the list. I have used software from Pinnacle. Sony and Adobe and this is the easiest to use. Coupled with Sony DVD Architect they sell in stores for around $1000 retail. It will not let you do some of the advanced features that Avid will but for the home user who cares. I found the pinnacle products I used very unstable. They were always crashing. Final cut pro is a good product. I never felt the need to use any Mac equipment but it is an option as well. But if you want easy to use PC based software for the home to mild professional user look at Sony Vegas and DVD Architect. I use them. Check out my website for some video samples we have. Note it will play very slow across the net but it gives you an idea.

kmitch

I'll roll this one back to the top. I finally took the plunge and bought Adobe Premier Elements 2.0. I chose this based on the reviews I read and the experience I've had with other Adobe products such as Reader, Writer, Distiller, etc. Frankly Adobe did themselves a disservice by releasing this product.

For assembling movies it works OK. Probably has a lot of horsepower I'll never use. It's not user friendly. Nothing about it is intuitive. The screen is really busy with four different panels for doing different things. There is no hard copy manual of any substance delivered with the product so you're pretty much on your own other than the cryptic online user's manual. My attempts to communicate with Adobe have brought auto responses with answers to questions I did not ask and are totally unrelated.

Where it really falls apart is in DVD burning. After I purchased the product I find after significant research that only certain DVD burners manufacturers and models are acceptable. If this is the case you would expect it to be stated in the system requirements for the software. I don't have one of the sanctioned DVD burners so I've spent a huge amount of time trying to write the movies to DVD using Nero OEM and have yet to be sucessful.

My recommendation is to avoid Adobe Premier Elements 2.0.

Keith

Lan-Lord

wow, good info, thanks for the updates. I know Adobe Photoshop is fat when it comes to features. It was hard to learn (still is after 3-4 years actually) but in the end, I like it. But from a perspective such as the ones above, Photoshop isnt a quick and dirty photo editing program either.

I havent gotten into video yet.. but I do know that I dont want to learn another software like I had to do with Photoshop. It is too time consuming to learn and manipulate it in order to get what I want.

So with that said, what does work well for you guys for under a grand? (maybe $500?)

wmidbrook

I'm six months into this industry now and am getting a pretty decent feel for a lot of the programs out there. My team qa's Sorenson Squeeze which is video compression software that is rebundled by AVID (75%+ of Hollywood editing professionals use AVID editing software).

So, at work we've got Final Cut Pro, AVID, Vegas, Premiere 2.0 from production studio, not elements (yes, there's a good DVD authoring package bundled with it). I've used Pinnacle 6 or 7 years ago long before AVID bought Pinnacle (quality has improved a bit).

Anyway, my take on this is that Final Cut Pro, Vegas and Pinnacle are going to be easier to use for amateur use. AVID and Adobe's professional editing products are the industry's prefered tools although Vegas is also used by Professionals. Adobe is cutting into AVIDs market share as is Vegas...but, the Vegas feature set is light compared to the big 2.

Anyway, enjoy...right now I'm using Vegas at home but use both AVID and Adobe on my systems at work (not heavily) since I like some of the features both have to offer. I kinda have had to learn AVID since my company parters with them even though it's the most difficult of the bunch to learn. I'm by no means a power-user with any of these yet except the compression tools and some pre-processing software like Algolith.

Anywho, get something easy to use like Adobe Elements or Final Cut lite and then upgrade to the professional level editing tools if you are throttled by your system.

I built a minimumly acceptable professional editing workstation a couple weeks ago for about $1500...pentium D overclocked to 3.8 Mhz, 2 Ghz RAM, PNY 1400 Video Card, Raid 0 250 Mbyte Seagate drives. That'll be fine for handling SD footage from a 3 CCD camera like my Canon GL1. I'll be getting an XL1-S or XL2 soon.

Preferably, an HP8300 (or the equivelent) with 2 Xeon processors, RAID 0 and a professional video Card, with at least 2 Ghz RAM would be the recommended system to meet all HD, or SD processing requirements very smoothly.

I'll move to HD footage in 2 or more years and upgrade my systems then if I can justify it :).

wmidbrook

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
what does work well for you guys for under a grand? (maybe $500?)[/b]
If it were me, I'd get an OEM copy of Premier 2.0 ($250) and, if you want to author DVDs, Encore ($250). At some point, you could fold in After Effects.

You are already into the Adobe Workflow of things....plus, with the new Adobe Bridge, all your products integrate...that offers some excellent advantages.

Predator 1

There's sure some great info here! It seems like there's a few members here with a wealth of knowledge on this subject, so I thought I'd resurect this topic again.

I've done some video editing with a couple different programs over the last 5 years. Mostly just for personal use with my own and family's hunting footage. I just recently started getting a bit more mainstream, and have made a couple videos for an organization, that was actually sold as a fundraiser for a bowhunting club.

I've used both Pinacle 9, and Pinacle 10. They were both super easy to use and I like them....however they are both unstable when dealing with large qauntity of footage. It seemed like if I kept videos under 20 minutes (of edited footage) I had no problems, but I made a few that were over an hour, and had several crashes and freeze-ups.

I've since upgaded my computer(PC), which may have been part of the problem, but I'm thinking about getting into this even a bit more, and wonder if it's worth re-installing Pinacle 10, or trying to go for something a bit more stable, professional, and with the ability of hadeling more footage.

By reading into this post a bit, it seems like AVID might be the way to go....maybe Vegas? It's been a while since there has been a response to this post, so there has probably been some advancments since then, so any advise would be appriciated.

Thanks

Pred

wmidbrook

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
By reading into this post a bit, it seems like AVID might be the way to go....maybe Vegas? It's been a while since there has been a response to this post, so there has probably been some advancments since then, so any advise would be appriciated[/b]
I haven't viewed this forum in over a month since the forum's inactive.

My views from this fall have shifted a bit. I think more professionals have moved to Final Cut Pro in the last year or two than most in the industry were aware of. Both FCP and Premiere are still eating into Avids market share. Sony Vegas is too but not at the same pace....The Big 3 in NLEs right now are FCP, AVID and Premiere. Aftereffects is #1. Motion is awesome. The new FCP release is awesome. The new premiere suite 3.0 is awesome too (a buddy's in the Beta program). Avid still has advanced capabilities not yet (but almost) included in FCP or Premiere.

For someone who is not a professional, I would stay away from AVID.

Are you:
a) a power hobbyist? (premiere, fcp, vegas)
b) aspiring to be published or work with/for an editing house? (apple fcp, premiere or avid)

Predator 1

Hey thanks for the reply!

My research on this topic since I posted has pretty much confirmed what you just said. I guess you could say that I fall into the "Power Hobbyist" category.

I just recently upgraded my PC, so FCP is out of the question for me, at least for the time being. After doing a bunch of digging, I finally decided to go with eithir Vegas, or Premiere. The vegas bundle was a bit cheaper, but it seemed like Premiere was supperior. The thing I was a bit worried about was the DVD authoring software.

My plan was to buy an older version of Premiere to learn from, then upgrade later. The problem was that the older versions don't come with Encore DVD, so 'd have to buy it seperate, or fork out extra cash to buy the Premiere bundle, or go cheaper and get the Vegas bundle.

Long story short......I decided to buy an older version of Premiere, that comes with a serial number, and transfer of ownership papers, then upgrade to the new Premiere Pro CS3 which comes with Encore DVD. When it's all said and done I should have Premiere Pro CS3 for the price of the Vegas Bundle.

I hope I made the right choice.....what do you think?

kmitch

After struggling with Adobe Premier Elements for over a year I've finally had some sucess. There is a forum similiar to this one on the Adobe website. One segment discussed Premier Elements. In that forum I recently found a tip that indicated you have to disable the DLA feature on the DVD drive to be able to burn DVD's. Since I've done this life with Premier Elements has been good. I've learned to edit video efficiently, add effects and consistently burn the final to a DVD. The sad part was the person who found the key was another frustrated user like myself, not someone associated with Adobe.

Keith

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Struggling with Windows Mediamaker now until Elements gets installed.

I used the old version of Premier many moons ago when I first started playing with DV and liked it. The hangups then were small HDs and finding drivers that would work well with the software.

wtnhunt

Using pinnacle's studio 10.7 here and do not really have stability issues even with larger videos. Processing speed could be a bit faster, but think that is more a computer issue, really need more memory, running on 1 gig of memory with a 3 ghz p4 processor, plan to soon upgrade to 2 gigs of memory, should help some.

Top Bottom