Video setup question

Tominator

Reaction score
Since some (maybe all, I don't know) digital video cameras are capable of giving still photos in frame-by-frame mode, would it be possible to wire one to act as a digital camera thereby giving you almost an endless supply of film? Even if you had to film for 1-3 seconds you lose less than 100 frames.
Tominator

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tominator,
This is just stuff I've heard - not first hand info....

I've heard that digital video cam still images are pretty low resolution - only the really expensive ones produce good quality still images.
Someone that owns a digital video cam will be able to give better info.

Archilochus

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
hey Tominator,

I have a Sony TRV-10 digital miniDV camera and I can pull stills off of it that are okay. Here is a still I pulled off of vdieo tape, you can see some of the "jaggies" as they call them.

This camera IS NOT a progressive scan camera, which results in the blurred image. A progressive scan camera is a bit more expensive (Canon Elura), and a bit clearer on the stills.

Progressive scanning holds all the image info in one frame so when you lift a frame it looks good. Non progressive scan cameras have 2 interlaced frames to make the image, so when you lift a still you get the funky pic from just one part of the frame image.

Most of the progressive scan videocams are around $1,000.00. You can grab stills from any video sequence so it might be better to just have the camera film a 15 second bit every time it was tripped. This way you could pick out the best frame and capture it.

I know ElkBowhunter, Gizz and Curtiss have working game trail videocams but I think there are using VHS or Hi8 cams for the cheaper costs. They can add more on their cams.

I don't know if I could leave my $1,000.00 videocam in the woods, I won't even let my relatives out of arms reach with it.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I'll second the lower resolution of still pics from video camcorders.  I have a Sony TRV-103, records digital on Hi-8 tapes.  I use Snappy software here at work to capture stills and the quality just isn't there.  

ToddP

Top Bottom