VideoCam Clips

gizz

Reaction score
Ok, no guarantees on this. These are around 470K and 400K respectively. I converted to MPEG from avi using the TMPGEnc freeware program. They are nothing spectacular but are 2 clips from the first night out with the homebrew videocam. Hopefully you have something that can play MPEG clips. These are only a few seconds long each. The best thing to do would probably be right click the link and click save target. After downloading to your computer you should be able to dbl click them to run.

****Sorry guys, had to take them down to make room for new ones****

(Edited by gizz at 1:01 pm on April 6, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Gizz Gizz Gizz - That is so neat! ! !  You've got to be thrilled with this

I looked at both clips, very nice

Tinhorn

J

JayBoy

You guys are truly amazing....you never fail to amaze me!!!!!!!!!!

gizz

Reaction score
Tinhorn - Thanks for the show of approval!
Of course none of this would've been possible without all the help from you guys. As I said earlier I will post the plans of the setup very soon. You will be able to make one of these for just a few more dollars than the homebrew cams. The cams can be obtained for under $100 on Ebay if we're all patient and don't go pumpin up the prices. I bought another one for $78 a 1 1/2 weeks ago. This is the one that took these clips

Jayboy - The engineers that frequent this place are the best! I didn't even know what a relay was 3 months ago.

I'll get a few more vids up soon. I'll also upload some longer ones for those that have big pipes

(Edited by gizz at 11:28 pm on Mar. 27, 2001)

H

huntaholic

When I click on your links, I get a message from geocities saying that the page is unavailable, I would love to look at them.

gizz

Reaction score
huntaholic - I've had trouble just clicking the links. Try a single right click - then select Save target as. This will bring up a save file dialog box which you should be able to handle from there. Save them on your computer some where and then view them. By clicking the link instead I think the file try to run from geocities and this can be a problem. I've been successful doing it both way but did have some problem Trying to "Open" the file fromt he current location. Right Click, Download, and Save works every time. Let me know if you still have problem.
Here are a couple more longer one's from the first night. I'll be putting the cam out tonight for the second time. It's just been too cold the last couple nights and this seems to negatively affect the palmcorder.

****Sorry again, had to take down to make room for new ones****

(Edited by gizz at 1:02 pm on April 6, 2001)

jayber

Reaction score
Gizz,
Congrats, looks like you're on the right track!  One question......does your camera shutdown after a few seconds or did you post short clips because of size?

gizz

Reaction score
Actually I clipped very small sections of good video because of size. The longest clip I took was 50Megs long! and only was about 12 seconds of video. Of course I later figured out how to convert to MPEG which cut way down on the size. I have the whole video currently on my computer - a little over a Gig! Any takers out there? I did have some problems with a lot of the video being out of focus(due to the cold I think) and therefore I cut this out of what you see. I just wanted to get some small clips so you all could see how it was going. Hopefully I'll be doing a better job in the future with the clips and lengths.

The relay stays tripped for about 16 seconds but if the camera has since powered down into sleep mode it takes about 4 or 5 seconds to wake up and start recording so I end up with about 8 or 9 seconds of good video. Add to that another 2 seconds for the autofocus to focus and you end up with about 6 or 7 seconds of good video. I'll do some adjusting to take care of this.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Ok,  so they aren't Video CamTraker videos like Gizz's but I thought you guys still might enjoy some other videos.  I've got some generic deer videos from archery season the other year, video from a hunting trip in Maine that includes a bear.
Hope you enjoy.  Like Gizz's,  right click on link and SAVE.

Todd

http://www.geocities.com/Mtnbkr99_1/bear.mpeg

http://www.geocities.com/Mtnbkr99_1/deer.mpeg

http://www.geocities.com/Mtnbkr99_1/deer2.mpeg

(Edited by ToddP at 1:50 pm on Mar. 28, 2001)

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
Gizz,
You're amazing dude!! I would be interested in your video. I've got a new Mac G4 with this new ION service trial, and everyone says it is the @#$%! for editing video and for graphics. Anyone know if this is right.

wvhunter

Reaction score
gizz, how is the dazzle hardware/software to use?  I have been looking for something to capture video to my PC and was wondering how you liked the dazzle you got.

gizz

Reaction score
Todd - Did you get the TMPGenc software? I'm going to check out your clips as soon as I submit this.

Ksbowhunter - Trust me, I'm far from amazing but thanks for the comment nonetheless. Isn't it amazing how we can go to work everyday and hardly ever get a "Thank You" but when we do these kind of things we're considered "Amazing"? Go Figure.
Alot of these ideas were obtained from all you guys, pat yourselves on the back for a change.

wvhunter - Thanks to a tip from Blackwater I purchased the Dazzle DVC 80. It's USB and If I'm not mistaken is for WIN98. They have a couple versions of this software - If you get it, get the one for your Operating system. I purchased mine from Egghead.com for $56 + $5 S&H (or somewhere close to that). This stuff is very, very easy to use, no learning curve at all. Pretty much plug in and capture the video. The software has everything you need to do "novice" editing. The format is then saved as ".avi". I downloaded Windows Media Player to encode to .wmv format. This really compresses the video but it is not a universal format so I download the freeware TMPGenc to convert from .avi to MPEG. It is also very easy with no learning curve.

BTW, the videocam is again "out on watch". Hopefully some good stuff tonight. I decided to try it without the amber lense on the light. I may end up getting a bunch of tails between the legs or maybe even just moving trees and brush
KSbowhunter - if you really want a large file to work with let me know and I'll fill up a CD and mail it to you. I already deleted the one from the other day to make room for tonights "flick". There's been a few coyote's around; I pray one finds his way in front of the cam!

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Gizz,

Yeah I got the TMPGenc software.  When I captured my video with Dazzle I was able to save as an mpeg file then.  Don't know why you wouldn't be able to.  The TMPGenc software is useful for me to clip out segments of my existing mpeg files.  I can also use a different bitrate and eliminate the sound to make the file size a little smaller, not a drastic decrease though.  

Here's some more mpeg files.  Two are from a bear hunting trip to Maine which includes a little moose and a fisher(also called a pine martin).  The last one is of some turkeys I came across on a tank range at Ft. Stewart, GA while wild pig hunging.

http://www.geocities.com/Mtnbkr99_1/fisher.mpeg
http://www.geocities.com/Mtnbkr99_1/little_moose.mpeg
http://www.geocities.com/Mtnbkr99_1/turkeys.mpeg

Once again,  right click on link and save to your hard drive.

Todd

Welby

Reaction score
gizz, way to go on the video cam.  That is amazing.  Maybe one day I'll take the plunge and build one.  I have to get a few other things built first - 'cause my wife says so - and, unfortunately, they are not hunting related.

I watched one of your videos, and it was great.  Since then, I have not been able to get either one of them up because of that whole "Page Unavailable" thing.  But, what I saw was really, really great.

I bet you're gonna have loads of fun watching bucks spar, turkeys strut, coon antics, and who knows what.  Maybe you'll catch some Sasquatch footage..heh, heh.

gizz

Reaction score
Todd - The Dazzle setup I got does not have an option for MPEG conversion. Maybe that's why it was only $56? It does allow for capturing Audio only, Audio/Video, Video Only though. Still an inexpensive setup. The TMPGenc software is free and does the MPEG from avi so I still can get it all done. Nice videos BTW!

Welby - Yeah I think that is a problem sometimes with geocities. I'm looking for a better place to build a web page and store some files. This will have to do until then. I just download all four and they are working now - guess it depends on the time of day and net traffic.

Ksbowhunter - check your email.

Thanks for the all the nice comments guys!

Lastnights video - Well, Ummm things didn't work out to well. I set everything up but when I powered everything on I somehow had the camcorder in record mode. Since everything is neatly tucked inside the enclosure I had know way of knowing that I was recording. I ended up with 1 1/2 hour video of a field and trees. Imagine my surprise when I picked up the camera before work and found the entire tape used up. Lesson learned!
Maybe tonight?

gizz

Reaction score
This is the full footage from last night(Friday night). I must warn you this is about 4.5megs long. The entire footage is 27 secs long and is of doe only. This was taken with no lense over the light. I'm doing a little experimenting with the lense cover and will now try a red lense. I'm also writing up the details of the videocam and hope to submit to Spectr this weekend for the page. Sorry it's taking so long to do this but I wanted to make sure this thing worked first. It has some flaws but all in all it works. Hopefully some of you that decide to build one will be able to help troubleshoot some of these flaws.

****Taken down to make room for new ones****

You'll notice at the end the camera was tilted a bit. Something again came in and knocked it sideways a bit. after that I got no more video. I suppose maybe it wasn't pointed properly. I sure would like to get a clip of the critter that keeps doing this.

(Edited by gizz at 1:03 pm on April 6, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
Here are a few more of the latest taken 4/5 & 4/6:
** Right Click and Save
This one is 2.6Megs long (Nice Daytime clip)
http://www.geocities.com/gizzcam/movies/DayDeerShrt.mpg

This one is 1Megs long:
http://www.geocities.com/gizzcam/movies/DeerN0405.mpg

This one is 1.8Megs long:
http://www.geocities.com/gizzcam/movies/DeerN20405PT1.mpg

This one is 2.6Megs long:
http://www.geocities.com/gizzcam/movies/DeerN20405PT2.mpg

I tried a different location on these and seem to be having better results with the cam.

(Edited by gizz at 1:14 pm on April 6, 2001)

Top Bottom