Vizsla Pups

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
My girl came into heat yesterday, so I'll be setting her up for the honeymoon next week or so!
She's been a good dog for me, likes to hunt, points nice, backs, retrieves(water & land), works the ditches pretty darn good, some dogs would rather work the ground above with you, but she'll get down and dirty!
I've never shown or trialed or hunt tested her, just hunted for the last seven years. My wife has finally given in to my requests to breed her, I had two girls, two years ago, she's in the happy huntin grounds.
So its now or never, and now its going to be. Just took her today for OFA cert. and cureent vaccinations. Dr. showed me the X-ray and said she should be graded "good" if not better! The X-ray looked good to my novice eyes!
She has a good pedigree, grandfather was a dog named "Golden Empire"s Dr. T" a DC NAFC & MH. There are other titles going back on both sides.
The sire I'm going to use is a boy from the "Rebel Rouser" lines from the Rozanek Kennels in Nebraska, my best friend bought him a couple years ago, he's a fine specimen, full of drive and desire, he'll be two at the end of June. He's had one full season hunting and is currently being trained with the help of Bill O'Brien. He's a handsome block headed boy, chisled like a champ. For the heck of it when he was around nine months old, we entered him in a local Vizsla Club show and he won! That's our extent of competition.
Anyone interested in a fine Vizsla that will have the qualities of a well bred hunting family companion contact me through here. The pups should be arriving sometime in late July or after then ready 8 weeks after that! I'll be having their tails and dew claws taking care of and administering their shots and worming.
I've been owning and hunting Vizslas since 1979, I'm not a professional breeder, but this will be the third litter I have had experience with. The first litter produced champion quaility pups, one woman campaigned her girl and got hunting test titles on her and a show championship, a girl named "Nitro's Cheyenne Autumn".

Bulldog

Reaction score
That's great news. Always good to have a reserve waiting in the wings to take over. All my best wishes goes to your girl.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
Thanks Bulldog, I hope all goes well for her too! I'll be in the doghouse for sure if it doesn't.
I got a copy of the sire-to-be's pedigree and I've got my girl's, I just need to shrink it down to a 8.5x11 sheet of paper.
I will be trying to post some photos of both dogs soon, still need to get a couple rolls developed, I think I have a couple worthy of posting!
I wish I lived on a ranch, if I did, I'd get myself a specimen from almost every sporting breed out there. I'm a 100% dog fan. I hunt with a friend that has GSP's, we been hunting together for 20 years, another that is a Britt fan, and same with him, my brother had a couple Britts, another friend has a Springer and another a yellow lab, its been a blast being around all these critters, my daughter's boyfriend has a chocolate lab, matter of fact I'll be pet sitting Jake while they go on vacation in a couple of weeks, he's neutered, so I don't have to worry about him stealing the cherry!
I'm really looking forward to this breeding and training my new pup, and I sure hope some of the folks here will consider a Vizsla as a compliment to their stable and or their first hunting dog. They've done me very well for over twenty years now, and I'm confident the pups coming will do the same! I'm gonna have a bird dog till the day I die, I just hope someone will look after the one(s) I may leave behind!

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
The breeding will take place in the next day or two, so pups will be around in 45-60 days, not the best time of year for a litter, in my opinion, but my girl threw a curve with her cycles, she's been a one heat a year girl till last year. Regardless, its going to happen, pups should be ready for homes around September or a little later!

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
Here's a photo taken today of the happy couple. There are additional photos of my girl Sadie in this forum, look back a page or two for "My girl doing her thang" there should be a couple of her hunting quail.

Attachments

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
The pups will be here soon, can't hardly wait! Needed to get this back near the top of the forums, this topic has photos of "Rio", the sire, pointing quail, and in my backyard with my girl.
Its should happen the first week of August at the latest! Puts me out of business for dove, but my girl should be ready for some quail, and definitely by pheasant season.
I'll have to shoot in close proximity for "Rio" to retrieve my dove, he'll just have to do double duty, shouldn't be a problem, this guy has got wheels!

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
I was out at Prado a couple weeks ago and went over to say hi to Bill and saw the sire - at least I think I know which one he was - 4 out of 5 dogs in that class were viszlas! Nice, robust looking dog. They sure are getting popular.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
If your visit with Bill was within the last nine weeks, you probably did see "Rio", he should have been the oldest of the Vizslas in the class. "Rio" turned two in late June. Bill has helped my friend a lot with the class, and my friend now is "considering" doing some hunt tests.
Back in 1980 when I got my first two Vizslas, I was one of the only members at Raahaughe's that ran them there, and I rarely saw them while wild bird hunting within the state. Over the last seven years or so, in particular, down in the Imperial Valley, I have come across maybe four different folks that ran them. I hunted with one, and he was a fine dog, I took the guys name and number for the possibilty of breeding to his boy, but it just never happened.
They are gaining in popularity, but their registrations annually are pale, in comparison to the other continental breeds. If I remember right, they have been in the U. S. since the 1950's, which is rather infantile compared to the other breeds!
So, a lot of folks just don't know about them. One of their characteristics I like a lot, is, they are the smallest, assuming that they are within the standard, but of course, there are exceptions. My girl's grand-sire, is a HOF dog named Golden Empire's Dr. T, which I just came to realize a couple days ago while doing a search in the Vizsla Club of America's site. I knew the dog was a multi-titleist, but didn't know the latter!
My other best friend has been hunting with GSP's a year or twq longer than I've been hunting with my dogs, and another with Britts almost the same time.
I could take any one of them and be a happy camper, they're all fine breeds. I just have to break away from the Vizsla to do it, but, I don't know if that's possible!

Huntndogs

Reaction score
My first dog was a Vizsla out of the Rebel Rouser lines....Most people thought he was a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Now he is pushing up daisies...That dog had a screw loose in its head, but was otherwise a nice looking pup.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
Originally posted by Huntndogs@Jul 19 2004, 03:26 AM
My first dog was a Vizsla out of the Rebel Rouser lines....Most people thought he was a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Now he is pushing up daisies...That dog had a screw loose in its head, but was otherwise a nice looking pup.
Hntndog, sounds like your experience with the breed wasn't what you hoped for, that's a shame. As in all breeds, there are individuals that won't pan out for multiple reasons.
I count myself lucky, the only problems I have encountered with the breed was broken bones, my current girl broke her leg, and one of my first males leg was broke by an auto hitting him. His brother had an eye problem, both of these littermates were not registered dogs and never bred, but they both were very good hunters and family dogs.
The Rebel Rouser line of Vizslas have typically been reknowned as very good dogs, very competitive and good dispositions, however, I'm sure there has been individuals that have not met these qualities, as in the other breeds and lines of well known dogs, regardless of breed.
I am very satisfied with the breed, they have been and have done all that I expect of a hunting dog, which I am easily pleased, for I don't compete in field trials, navda, nstra or akc hunt tests, I'm just not interested in these activities. I tried a field trial and a hunt test once each, learned the basic concepts, and decided I would rather just hunt my dogs, and at that, they have been very good. They have been solid pointers, honoring other's finds, retrieving naturally to hand, full of desire and drive, and typically all day hunters.
My first two, were raised with my two kids, at the time my daughter was about three and my son was around ten, the kids loved the dogs and vice-a-versa!
I have had the pleasure and experience to have hunted with, at one time or another, Britts, GSP's, Griffon's, GWP's, Springer's, Lab's, Field Cocker's, English Setter's and even a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever and it's been great, many of these were very fine individuals, I just so happened to have sort of stumbled on the Vizsla breed, and have yet to try out any other breed for my personal use. I wouldn't have many if any qualms with any of the hunting breeds, they are all GREAT!

Huntndogs

Reaction score
Didnt mean to sound like I was bashing the breed....They are still one of my favorites. "Gunner" was a beautiful dog, I just wish he was better in the head.....You'r right, sometimes that happens. I picked him because of the Rebel Rouser lines and the fact that both parents were on site and hunted regularly...

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
Didn't take it as bashing, I don't think there is a breed exempt from there being individuals that don't make the grade, so to speak.
Its been my experience, that most of the folks I have come upon, either have the best dog on earth or know someone that does. I don't have a problem with that, because I know these dogs are like our children, and if you want to get the hair up on someone's neck in a hurry, just make a derogatory comment about their charge!
With me, I just like dogs, not just bird dogs, dogs in general. But, I now believe, if you're going to own a dog, why not make it a bird dog, it doesn't get much better than that!

Top Bottom