Vizslas, what do you guys think?

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
My friend is thinking about getting a Vizsla. He has a question and I told him that I would post it on the board. His problem is that he has heard that Vizsla's are known to be very hyper. Is that true?

Thanks

limit7

Reaction score
nothing that a good shock colar can't fix......

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Electric collars are not to fix hyper dogs, they are to reinforce commands that the dog has had drilled into them.  The key to control a "hyper" breed is to socialize them at an early age.  My newest pup went everywhere with me for the first few months I had her, people can't believe when they see how mellow she is at only 10 months.  When my dogs get in the field they are 100 miles an hour but are mellow around the house.  A trainer I know will not take in a Weimerimer or a Viszla for training because he feels they are inferior, just his opinion of course.

Brian

birdogman

Reaction score
Just from experience, I highly recommend a good field bred german shorthair pointer over a Vizla. For the ease of training, good pointing and retrieving instinct. I would especially recommend if it is his first dog. Vizlas are great dogs, but most professional trainers I know prefer the GSP. Just my opinion.

Upland hunter

Reaction score
I looked into this breed for a friend and I found out that the people are trying to save the field aspect of the breed.  This would indicate that it would be a lot harder to find a good bred field dog and at more risk than purchasing a brit, gsp, pointer, etc.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
My dad had a Vizsla and it was not very hyper, due to he spent alot of time training and teaching him(thats what it seemed like) and he aslo had a Greman Short Hair, now she was an outstanding Hunting dog, she was one of those dogs that you hear about that are just an "awsome hunting dog ", again there was time put into my dads dogs but the short hair just seem to be part human and very sharp and understanding, as the saying goes it was in her blood. You need to look at what kind of Hunitng you are going to do, sometimes having a hyper dog helps ( for Chucker ). Good Luck

Top Bottom