Wader Boot Repair

hntndux

Reaction score
Anybody know of a good way to fix rubber wader boots.  I bought a new pair from cabelas last year and while walking across pond 3 at Colusa something very sharp sliced a two inch cut across the top of the boot.  I've tried patches and silicon and all leak by the end of one hunt.

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Contact Cabela's.  They are very good with backing their products and may replace the waders.

(Edited by Mike Riley at 4:16 pm on July 12, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
huntndux,

I cut my waders 3 years ago on a stick. After a couple attempts to plug the leak with patches I found some glue called "GOOP" at Wal-Mart Auto department that did the trick. I've also seen it sold as "Shoe GOOP" for repairing soles on sneakers.

Happy Gluing.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I second the nomination for GOOP.  There's one for neoprene too.  I've used the regular and the neoprene, and never had any problems at all.  It's much better than regular silicon, although if you silicon, then cover the silicon with duct tape on both sides of the cut, that can make a pretty secure patch.  Ugly as sin, but secure.

mudroller

Reaction score
If Cabelas can't help. contact manufacturer. They recommend/sell different repair kits. My recommendation, do it once and do right. When you get tired of rubber waders, try the new gortex waders. I bought some for fly fishing 5 years ago and have worn the the last 3 seasons duck hunting. No sweat, no leaks, no problems so far (knock wood). It was worth the $300 bucks to me now. And they aren't cold like I thought they would be.

jerry d

Reaction score
Mudroller,

What brand did you purchase. I've been considering a pair for some time for fly fishing.

The neoprene waders I use are hot and it's sometimes difficult to get them to strech, making it difficult  when climbing on rocks, ect.

Thanks

hntndux

Reaction score
Thanks guys.  I'm going to contact Cabelas first and then try the goop if that's unsuccessful.

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
Try a product: AQUASEAL. It comes in a tube and is available at dive or surfer shops. I may have seen it in Cabela's catalog. The stuff sticks like crazy to rubber/neoprene. I've had good results using this goo on wetsuits,gloves,boots,and waders.

Fubar

Reaction score
Hey Topclamdigger  Welcome to Jesses Forum. How long do you guys get a pair of waders to last? The pair I have now are going on their third season.    Fubar

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
I've got three pairs of waders:. A pair for surf fishing, Cabela's Brushbusters(1,000 cordura) for rough conditions, and  waist-high 3mm neoprene type that provide some floation to wear when I duck hunt from an Aquapod. The waders last a long time if you dryout after use, store properly and repair as needed.

Trapp

Reaction score
Furbar
I’m going on four years with my waders and I’m hard on waders I have about seven patches on them. LoL I keep a spare pair in my truck during duck hunting season just in case. I use the DU 800 gram thinsulate titanium coated found at http://www.herters.com.

Since we are talking about waders has any body see the new Fly Waders they come with a waterproof zipper to relieve yourself. Any thoughts on them.
See them at http://www.fowlplayusa.com/html/phpshop/mo...p;product_id=38

jerry d

Reaction score
Glad to see someone has found something that works. That little tube of repair stuff they give you with the waders doesn't work too well for me.

Like some of you, I also wear half waders most of the time. Full waders are to hot for me, especially at the start of the season here in Calif. For me, half waders are more comfortable and a little easier to lower when ya gotta drop um.

The ones with a zipper is a good idea. The only problems I would have with them would be the 5mm. That would be uncomfortable for me.

Also, price is a little steep. Think I'll try the gor-tex waders when my neoprene wears out.

Thanks sharing the info, guys.

mudroller

Reaction score
sorry JerryD, i missed your post somehow, I hace Simm's Guide model stocking foot waders. Pricey, but spread over 5 years it isn't so bad.Mine have atleast a few more years left in them . I got a catalog from http://www.Sierratradingpost.com and in a fall clearance catalog they have bootfoot Simm's gortex waders in Advantage wetlands camo for $349, regular $500 and columbia waterfowl quad parka and widgeon $159-179. All on closeout. I am breakin' out my visa for the new wader if they have my size in stock(huge).  

jerry d

Reaction score
Thanks, mudroller.

My Sierra Trading Post catalogue came in the mail yesterday. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

They do have some good deals.

I wear silk underwear during duck season (my hunting partners say I look cute in them :O) and found them at a good price in the catalogue. They keep me warmer than any other type underwear and do a good job of wicking perspiration away.

Thanks again for the info.....

Top Bottom