Wader Length Jacket

DanV

Reaction score
Am tired of my parka, wet pockets, shells etc. Any ideas on who makes a wader length, waterproof duckhunting jacket that has no insulation? Coats I have now are insulated and unbearable except at the end of the season during a storm, would be nice to have somthing to wear on the opener that does'nt bake you.

Thanks, Dan

duckdog

Reaction score
Hi Dan,
I have always worn Browning wader jackets. This year they came out with a jacket that is sold seperate from the liner. I bought one, and just love it. The older styles had a elastic waist band around it and it would always ride up your back. This year, they changed the design and you can use the tie string to tighten the bottom of the jacket up. No more riding up the back. They are very pricey, but worth the cost. Like I said, it is sold with no liner. You have a choice of either buying a gray or shadow grass down liner that zips into it. If you are ever in Modesto, Ca. Autolife sporting goods sells the jacket. They are having a huge sale the first weekend of August.

Dana

MNTNMAN

Reaction score
I have had a Columbia jacket for about 4 goose seasons now and it is the best one I have ever had. The insulated liner is removable, but Oregon's weather won't allow it to be worn without it.

Jay

Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes, I've been through this one.

Some companies have been maketing so-called wader jackets but they are still too long and most of them are insulated as you've found out. I bought a very short neoprene wading jacket and almost died from heat-stroke. I've been to numerous stores and through lots of catalogs and nobody's got what the duck hunter really needs.

This is a serious marketing opportunity for someone in the outdoor clothing business.

Here's what the duck hunter really needs:
1. A waterproof, beathable, uninsulated shell that only reaches down to about the navel and no farther. This allows it to hang a couple inches over chest waders and not drag in the water.
2. The shell needs an integral hood that can be rolled up and zipped into the collar.
3, Two cargo pockets that can fit a box of shells each and fully zip closed to keep shells from falling out into the water.
4. Draw strings on the hood and waist.
5. Inside chest pockets that also zip closed.  
6. Button over storm flaps for all exposed zippers.
7. Several different camo patterns to choose from.

I can't find this and I would gladly pay $150 for one.

To get by I took an old Columbia Gortex shell and cut six inches off the bottom and then sewed the cargo pockets back on. This works but it's still not exactly what I want.  

DanV

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied so far. Dana, love anything from Browning but the $300- $400 price tag scares me off, hopefully the uninsulated model will be a little less. Jay , you hit the nail right on the head. I had a old Columbia Parka that was uninsulated that would have worked well for a conversion project, unfortunately I sent it back to Columbia to have it retreated for leakage. Since it was out of production they sent me a new insulated model, GREAT, only it is cheaper than the Widgeon Jacket and the insulation is sewn in. Oh, well!

Saw basically what I wanted from Hodgman in green, need to find out if it is made in any of the different marsh camos.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Jay et al.

Sounds like you've described the new Columbia Widgeon quad.  It's just like their famous quad parka, except much shorter... made for waders.  Maybe a little closer to waistlength than navel (I prefer a little more coverage), but not nearly as long as most parkas.  It's built to last, and if you have a problem I know from experience that they'll make good on it PDQ.

The quad shell is tough, and great alone for shedding water and cool wind.  The liner is good too, nice and warm, with shell loops and pockets, although it gets a little sloppy if you soak it.  If they'd waterproof the liner, then it would be the perfect coat.  

I had the regular quad parka, but lost it in Mendota last year (somebody got a superb hunting coat...but no more whining on that topic).  I'm back into my old parka now, which is not only too long, but also made of a polar-fleece material that really picks up the cockleburrs out there.  

My next purchase is definitely going to be the Widgeon quad parka.  If you watch the sales on Cabelas, BASS ProShops, and the others, you can catch a decent sale and get out under $250.  Not the cheapest thing in the world, but you get quality for those dollars.

MQ

Reaction score
I am on my second Columbia Wigeon (the first isnt so dry anymore after 10+ years, but I still use it on dry days) and think they are great. Only in the deepest ponds do I have to pull it up to keep it from dragging in the water and you have the versatility to use the liner for cold days, or leave it at home for the warm days. The new Super Wigeon, which I now have, is more storm-proof than my original ever was. Check it out...

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Jay,

while at Hogan's to purchase the gun, he took me back in the store room where they are getting ready for their mid August duck-a-thon sale...  He has tons of stuff!

there was a new waist length wader jacket (can't remember who makes it) that was a great looking early or warm weather jacket.  It was vented in the back, and had vents for armpits ( zippered) and had a mesh lining.  I 'think' he said $50 for those.  Looked great and you may want to check for them at their sale.

(Edited by Duck Fan at 1:01 pm on July 25, 2002)

mudroller

Reaction score
get the super wigeon quad, I bought the shadow grass super quad parka last year, and love it, way more bullet proof and water resistant than my old columbia quad wigeon, but I will be buying a wigeon super quad this year because I'm tired of wet pockets too. I never have had a jacket this long before. The hood on them is stellar!!!

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Jay,
You need to grow a few inches, my widgeon parka hits just below the navel. ;)  But I do like the idea of zippered exterior pockets.  Problem is CA refuge hunters (because of shell limits) may be the only ones more worried about losing shells than quick access to the pockets.  Still I would bet Columbia could sell enough to make it worth their while.  You might drop them an e-mail.

Jay

Reaction score
Well let's see.......

I dropped Columbia an email and got a "dear john" letter back thanking me for my input on waders and no, my email was not about waders. :chainsaw:

I also picked up a Mad Dog bomber jacket but it doesn't quite meet my criteria:
- still a couple inches too long
- it has an insulated liner, thin but it's still there.
- the exterior cargo pockets snap closed
- no inside pockets

Duck Assassin

Reaction score
Cabelas, Bass Pro, Herters all have wader jackets Lined unlined and waterproof you can get them for less than 150.00. I am 6"2' and I have not had any issues with them being too long. I do put them through a waterproof test a couple of times, most of the waterproof jackets leak brand new, mostly at the seams or by the end of season they leak so I return them. I general have new jacket because of these tests each season . I take a wash basin full of water submerge the jacket overnight for the test. Good luck to you, the main thing I look for is a detachable hood. I do not like them because it is hard to hear birds flying. I use a Gortex hat with an insulated lining for rainy days.
My 2 cents worth

hunthog

Reaction score
Saw a Browning wader length jacket in the new Cabelas Waterfowl catalog that looked to have a drawstring bottom instead of elastic.

huthog

Top Bottom