Waders

Bodie

Reaction score
I need some advice on waders?????????????????

I am looking to buy a pair of waders for waterfowl hunting, however, I know very little about them???

I have been looking in the Cabelas catalog and they have several different types.  I have been looking at their 5mm Neoprene, thier Ultimate Hunting Wader, thier Dry Plus Wader, and thier Dry Plus Warrior Wader.  The main difference I see is the type of material they are made out of.  Also, how many grams of thinsulate is necessary to keep your feet warm?  Some only have 200grams while others have 1200grams.    

I am looking for something that is warm (but not too hot), durable (puncture resistant), and comfortable (something that is easy to walk long distances in).   Also, I am not too worried about the price.  

I will be doing the majority of my hunting at the refuges in the Sacramento Valley (Colusa, Delevan, Sutter, Gray Lodge, and if I am lucky Little dry Creek).  

Also, what would be the most appropriate camo pattern for this area?   One problem I am having is that not every wader comes in every camo pattern.  My jacket is in "Mosssy Oak Shadow Grass".    Is it a bad idea to mix camo patterns between your waders and jacket?  

Also, is there a better place to buy waders from other than Cabelas?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I have  lways bought my waders from Cabelas and for the valley I would recommend the 3mm, in my opinion 5mm would be too hot for the valley.

brian

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I wanna throw a definite SECOND to Whoadog's comment.  I have a pair of the Cabelas 5mm waders, and I probably sweat off ten pounds a weekend in those things...in January!  Way too much thermal protection for California duck hunting (unless you're up in the ice and snow around Klamath or something).  

I've been wearing these 5mm Cabelas for almost 10 years now, by the way.  I've had to patch them once in all that time, and I'm pretty harsh on waders.  So I'd recommend Cabelas, but get the 3mm waders.  You can always add socks and long johns if you need them.

Jay

Reaction score
I don't know, if you're standing in water for long periods of time you can't beat the 5's.

LetEmWork

Reaction score
Waders...who needs em? I usually wear camo shorts all year round...even when I'm in the Basin. OK..OK...just kidding ya...gotta go along with Whoadog! Happy Hunting!

LetEmWork!

jerry d

Reaction score
I tried a pair of 3mm half waders last season and they worked out great.

Don't have the hassle of removing my jacket and shoulder straps when "ya gotta go", just pop the belt, drop um and be on the lookout for that duck that seems to always come in during this particular activity. Also, they don't feel as confining as regular length waders since there's nothing snug around my back and chest areas.

Saw an advertizement somewhere for waders with a zipper in the fly. Wonder if they'd leak after a while.

Bodie

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the advice.  It sounds like the 3mm might be the best option for the climate in the Sacramento Valley.

Does anyone know anything about Cabelas Dry-Plus waders?  Their ad states that they have a breathable membrane making them more comfortable in warm weather while still keeping you warm in cold water.  I believe that "Dry Plus" is Cabelas term for their brand of gortex.  However, these waders range from $169-$199.  The 3mm Cabelas are only $89.  Is the price difference worth it?

MQ

Reaction score
I have been tempted to try those breathable waders because I sweat bad even in the 3mm's. In the early season the neoprenes get damn hot. Later in the season I wouldnt trade the neoprenes for anything. The half height waders would probably be the best, as long as you know you wont get into deep water (like Sac and Colusa).

Tominator

Reaction score
I guess it's ok to be fat, and it's ok to be tall, but if you're fat and tall you lose! Anyone have any suggestions where I can find waders that fit?!? I'm 6'3" and 295# with a 35" inseam and there's nothing I hate worse than waders that are short in the straddle.
Tominator

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Have you looke dat the LaCrosse expamdable waders?  I had the same problem and these waders worked out great for me.  Custom waders would be you other option but gets expensive.  You can find them in Cabelas  "Lacrosse Brush-Tuff Expandable Waders" Cat # XB-811280.  They are not exactly cheap either, but I guess us big guys are used to paying extra for clothes.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom