walkie talkie's

knowshorts

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone use any sort of walkie talkie in the field with their group?  I use those little motorolas at work and they are fine for work situations.  Are they any good in the forests?  Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Fubar

Reaction score
knowshorts  I have some of the same radios. They seem to work ok up to about 2 miles. Your reception can depend on whats in between you and the person you are trying to contact. They are line of sight, so if you are high on a hill and there is nothing between you and your buddy you will get better reception.     Fubar

lintongb

Reaction score
We use the motorola too.  I've noticed they work pretty good if you are in line of sight with each other.  Like Fubar said but if there dense trees it cuts the range down quite a bit.  Also if you are on the other side of a ridge from someone you pretty much don't get any reception.

hunter mike

Reaction score
I just got some of the same motorolas for myself after using them during the past two national guard annual trainings.  They are great within two miles in open country.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
We used to use CB's, but they've been replaced with the Motorola's.

Depending on the group (2-10) if allows us so much more communication.  Now everybody is getting the voice activated attachments, so they don't have to press the button.  I have the kind that you can choose whether or not to have the voice activated, but it has an ear-bud, it works really well.

We can get a little over a 2 mile range in Imperial Valley.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Good luck with ours.  Easy two mile range.  We do use the ear pieces and it really cuts down on the noise during deer season.  Ours have the sub-channels.  The only way to go. Otherwise, with 14 channels you have too much cross chatter.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
I use them too.  Got the Motorola's.  Great to keep in communication with your partners.  Nice to know where they are and if someone needs help emergency or game hauling).  Use earbuds during big game hunts to keep the noise down.  

DanV

Reaction score
I got some of the Motorola FR50's, bought them to use deer hunting with my son. Have seen too much cat sign in my hunting areas to let him on his own. Work real good on the boat when friends and I take more than one boat. Question, there is a jack for a earbud, does anyone know if this model will take the voice activated mic/earbud setup? Thank's, Dan

MNHNTR

Reaction score
Dan V, if you check Cabelas catalog the accessories for your radio should be there.  My bro and i use the Motorola 250 series with the PTT earbud.  They seem to work well. We used them during the dove opener last week.

horseshoer

Reaction score
We use the Motorola 250s.  Does anyone know if these are legal for guiding hunters in on deer or elk. They sure would be handy if a person ever got in the right position. Probably would not happen very often. Or would this be an ethical concern?

Haary

Reaction score
Sure they are legal.  They are particularly handy when a group is sweeping a thick brushy hillside Where it is so thick you can't see the deer when you kick them out.  You can only hear them breaking brush.  With the radio you can alert the person to your left or right or the person on stand at the end of the drive.

You can coordinate your sweep so that no one gets too far ahead of the others.  Further helping to ensure the safety of the other members of your hunting party.

They are also particullarly helpful when you are searching for a wounded animal.

Beaker

Reaction score
have the Motorola and Kenwood brand radios...they are great...wouldnt hunt without them...however..in early fall before the leaves fall I cant get at best a mile in the forrest.

Haary

Reaction score
One of my hunting partners just bought four marine VHF radio.  These work great. We talked to one of our friends about 20 miles away.  They are much better than the FRS radios that are only good for about 2 miles.  These are made by Uniden and list for about $80 each.

kinglongshanks

Reaction score
Use a Motorola FRS also.  I have to keep tabs on my elderly(but in good shape) father while Deer/Turkey hunting, so it comes in handy.
 All the members in our Deer camp have one, it comes in handy if someone needs help dragging or picking up a Deer.

fishhead

Reaction score
My little brother uses 2 meter amature radios.  These things are good for miles (the record is from Costa Mesa, CA to Hawaii).  You have to have an amature radio licence to use them thoe.  For my birthday my brother gave me a study guide.  You don't have to pass a code test to get licensed now.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Fishhead
I am working on the Technician License too, because both my sister and brother-in-law are Hams. He had his 2m handheld modified to use thr FRS frequencies.

prohunter

Reaction score
i have a couple of motorola's and they work great!! i have the same question as horseshoer are they legal in ca. to guide some one in for a kill?

Top Bottom